Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Questions from July 2000

Do you have a question you want to ask to an experienced team of diabetes Health Professionals? The health care professionals of the Diabetes Team lend their many years of experience to answer your questions. Be sure to read the Diabetes Team Disclaimer and the Message from the Diabetes Team. You can review the credentials of our Diabetes Team members by clicking on their names below or on their initials in each answer.

[ Topical Index | Current Questions | Nov 15 | Oct 15 | Sep 15 | Aug 15 | Jul 15 | Jun 15 | More... | Submit Question ]

1. My twin daughters have had diabetes for 22 years and have never been in very good control. They are eating only protein for the most part, in an attempt to lose weight. They plan to do this for a month. I wonder if this short time of eating excessive protein can do permanent damage to their kidneys or cause kidney failure now. (31 Jul 2000)

2. Could you provide a list of vitamin supplements that would be of benefit to people with type 1 diabetes? I have read that Vitamin E is good for prevention of eye complications. Are there others that would help maintain health? (31 Jul 2000)

3. My son, 11 years old, type 1 diabetes for four years, has had over 600 hypoglycaemic episodes. He also has frequent episodes of hyperglycaemia. He has had tests on hypothalmus, adrenal glands, pituitary gland and pancreas. Our specialist Professor is finding it difficult to come up with answers as to why his condition is so fragile. Have you encountered this before? (31 Jul 2000)

4. My nephew was just diagnosed with type 1. His parents have recently been cutting his insulin doses. They check his blood sugar levels and they are in the normal range more times than not. They have not told his diabetes team what they are doing. Is what they are doing okay? (31 Jul 2000)

5. I am only a friend and look after the kids when they are at my house with my kids, but, they have recently started to go hypo, even though their levels are good. I need to know as much as possible. (31 Jul 2000)

6. Last month, while playing, she could not stand on her left leg. We took her to the emergency room and, over the next hour, she couldn't move anything on the left side of her body. They thought she might have had a temporary TIA. Is this common in young people with diabetes? Is she more likely to have a stroke later in life? (31 Jul 2000)

7. We have switched to a different diet resulting in weight loss and lowered insulin requirements. Is this a recognized diabetic diet? What is your response to my questions and observations? (31 Jul 2000)

8. My 14 year old son was diagnosed with diabetes four months ago. His islet cell antibodies were negative but his GAD-65 was 4.3. He is doing extremely well Are there any precautions available to prolong this honeymoon period? Are there any complications to be aware of from his GAD-65 results? (31 Jul 2000)

9. I have these symptoms: fatigue, extreme thirst, extreme hunger, urinary tract infection around once a month, and frequent urination and bladder control problems. I had kidney problems when I was younger, so could this have something to do with that? (31 Jul 2000)

10. My three year old daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at 13 months of age. She has recently been sick and I couldn't get enough carbs in her, especially at night. Her clinic advised us to use glucagon which we did for three nights. Was this dangerous? (31 Jul 2000)

11. My two sons (18 and 14 years old) both have had type 1 diabetes for five years. I have a bit of a problem keeping the blood sugar within reasonable levels on the youngest. He also has a bipolar disorder and is treated with lithium. It seems like he's having difficulties understanding the seriousness and is not taking good care of diabetes. His last HbA1c was 13.1 percent. Do you have any suggestions? (31 Jul 2000)

12. My 14 year old son was diagnosed last year with type 1. He did test positive for antibodies. A recent C-peptide was 1.6 ng/ml. Could he have another type of diabetes instead of type 1? Can he be controlled by medication instead of injections? (31 Jul 2000)

13. I was taking oral medication but recently started injections. I am scared to death of the needles and it is not easy for me to do. Do you have any advice to make this easier? Will I always have to take injections from now on? (31 Jul 2000)

14. My son is 12 and was diagnosed about one year ago. His endocrinologist's office called today about an irregular carbon dioxide (CO2) reading. They want to do another test to check his kidney function level. How do the two levels relate to each other? Is this cause for alarm? (31 Jul 2000)

15. My grandfather and great grandmother had type 2 diabetes. There is no history of type 1 that we know of. Is it possible to have both type 1 and type 2 diabetes at the same time? Is it possible I could develop type 2 also someday? (31 Jul 2000)

16. I am involved in the care of many patients with gestational diabetes. I have seen statements about glycosuria being present if the blood glucose is over 180 mg/ dl (10 mmol/L). Is there any general rule about when glucose is spilled in pregnant women with normal kidney function? (31 Jul 2000)

17. I am a 29 year old mother of two and had gestational diabetes during both pregnancies. My doctor scared me when he told me the risks of having another child. What would the risks of having another child be? (31 Jul 2000)

18. My boyfriend's son has had type 1 diabetes since he was 12. The son is always drinking alcohol, and he smokes marijuana. He takes his insulin, but doesn't seem to care about anything else. My boyfriend's attitude to just let his son have fun while he can. How soon will he start to see complications occurring? What can I do to get this kid some help? (31 Jul 2000)

19. I am 35 years old and seven weeks pregnant with my second child. I took the three-hour glucose test with my first pregnancy which was okay. Yesterday, I had my urine checked. The nurse noted that there was a trace of ketones present. When I research ketones, the only hits I get concern diabetes. Why do I have ketones in my urine? How can I get rid of them quick? (31 Jul 2000)

20. My two-and-one-half year old son was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes about two months ago. Since then, I have heard of similarly young aged children being diagnosed. Is there a rising incidence in younger children? Is there any known reason for the increase? (30 Jul 2000)

21. I read about a patch that will measure blood-sugar without having to do the fingersticks. Is this patch going to be for children? (30 Jul 2000)

22. I want to know about a capsule called INSULEN. Can it replace insulin shots for people with Type 1 diabetes, as is being claimed by a website? If it cannot, could you please suggest a replacement to insulin shots in a country like India? (29 Jul 2000)

23. Since a low blood sugar episode, I have developed a fear of bolusing insulin in large amounts and tight control. I have also since become bulimic in order to enjoy normal amounts and types of foods. What is the best hospital for a type 1 with bulimia? (29 Jul 2000)

24. My three year old son, who has type 1 diabetes, often has blood sugars that are under 4.0 mmol/L (72 mg/dl), sometimes even in the 2.5 mmol/L (45 mg/dl) range. Is any harm being done by having blood sugars this low? (29 Jul 2000)

25. I am 29 and I have had type 1 diabetes for 17 years. I struggled with my HMO to get an insulin pump because I was going into several comas. I became pregnant, but went into another coma at four weeks. At eight weeks, an ultrasound determined that my baby's heart was not beating. Did that coma cause me to lose my baby? (29 Jul 2000)

26. Should pregnant women be concerned about their milk intake during pregnancy? Has this been shown to put their unborn baby at higher risk for developing type 1 diabetes? (29 Jul 2000)

27. I am 36 weeks pregnant, and my doctor told me I have diabetes. What are the risks for my baby if I have a high sugar? Is it very complicated to have a situation like this during pregnancy? (29 Jul 2000)

28. My wife is 30 years old and has type 1 diabetes. She has had about five episodes of low blood sugar, which have not been prolonged, but I'm worried about the possibility of fetal abnormalities. How low and how often is too much? (29 Jul 2000)

29. I have type 1 diabetes and I am battling the Department of Motor Vehicles for my ambulance driver's certificate.I have searched all over the web hoping to find an EMT or Paramedic in any state who has been granted an ambulance driver's certificate despite having type 1 diabetes. (29 Jul 2000)

30. I've had type 1 diabetes for about seven years now. Can you recommend websites that could information on type 1 weight loss? (29 Jul 2000)

31. I am looking for scholarships and other moneys to assist with tuition costs. Can you help us find the right resources? (28 Jul 2000)

32. I am 33 years old, 18 weeks pregnant. I have also had part of my intestines bypassed, therefore I don't absorb all of what I eat. I have been having frequent low blood sugar reactions, as low as 35 mg/dl (1.9 mmol/L). What are or where can I find info on the effects of low blood sugar reactions to my fetus? (28 Jul 2000)

33. What happens to insulin when it is exposed to heat? Is it safe to use? (28 Jul 2000)

34. I have a 5 year old son who was recently diagnosed with reactive hypoglycemia. His doctor sent us to a dietitian, so she could design a "diabetic diet" for him. The problem is that it is not working. What is the best way to go? (28 Jul 2000)

35. My son has Type 1 diabetes. He was diagnosed during the middle of first grade. He seemed to struggle with school after the diagnosis and all through second grade. Could his diabetes affect his school work performance and focus? (28 Jul 2000)

36. I have an eight year old daughter with type 1 diabetes. She has chosen to eat at school in the cafeteria. The school says that they need her diet broken down into ounces. I am not sure how to do that. I know she is on a 1600 calorie diet. (27 Jul 2000)

37. I am 22 years old I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes four years ago. Since the day I was diagnosed, I have been gaining weight. Is there anything I can do? (27 Jul 2000)

38. I am in a quandary about how to effectively deal with post-exercise highs in blood glucose readings. What causes precipitous rises in blood glucose readings after exercise? What measures can you suggest, using a pump, to avoid these post-exercise rises in blood glucose? (27 Jul 2000)

39. We are thinking of putting in a swimming pool for our 13 year old son with type 1 diabetes to use. How do you think swimming compares to other types of exercise? (27 Jul 2000)

40. My four boys all have ketotic hypoglycemia. Is it common for this to continue past five or six? Is it a precursor to diabetes? (27 Jul 2000)

41. My 2 year old was recently diagnosed and is in the honeymoon stage. Is there anything that we can do to prolong his honeymoon stage or even reverse the process and enable his body to rejuvenate these cells? (27 Jul 2000)

42. I have a 17 year old son who was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the age of 11. Is there a way for him to participate in a GlucoWatch study or to obtain a GlucoWatch and sensors prior to marketing? (27 Jul 2000)

43. My three-and-one-half year old son was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes one year ago. I have Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS), psoriasis, and psoriatic arthritis. Would my having PCOS and/or psoriasis make him more prone to carry the genetic make up for type 1? (27 Jul 2000)

44. What are the typical signs of diabetes to watch for in a child younger than three years old? (27 Jul 2000)

45. My six year old son had high glucose in his urine at his last doctor's visit. We are monitoring his urine at home, until his labs come back. His glucose is very high on some days and negative on others. What are the chances of his labs coming back positive? (27 Jul 2000)

46. I am 31 years old and have had type 1 for 11 years. I am on the pump with Humalog. I inject across my lower abdomen only. We are planning a preegnancy. It had never occurred to me that lispro might not be tested in pregnant women. Do pregnant women experience difficulty with the abdomen site? (27 Jul 2000)

47. Are antidepressant drugs okay to take while pregnant? I was taking Celexa. I took myself off of it for this reason. (27 Jul 2000)

48. What kind of foods are good to eat while being pregnant? What should you stay away from? (27 Jul 2000)

49. Can you tell me if creatine is dangerous for a 64 year old male body builder? (26 Jul 2000)

50. My brother is 47 years old and was diagnosed at age nine. He has never been able to tell when his blood sugar is dropping. He lives alone. Is there a device that will alarm when the glucose level is dropping? (26 Jul 2000)

51. My daughter will be travelling throughout Australia (including the Outback) this summer. Do you have any ideas on how she can store her insulin? (26 Jul 2000)

52. My 15-year old granddaughter's doctor told her today that she should go to a diabetes camp for 3 months. Are there camps that take patients for so long a period? (26 Jul 2000)

53. Five months ago, I had a son born at 25 weeks. He was diagnosed with hyperinsulinemia/hypoglycemia. Is this caused by being so premature? Could he out grow it? Could it return later? (26 Jul 2000)

54. I'm currently planning a pregnancy. I use the pump. Since your stomach would be sensitive during pregnancy, where you would place the sets? What other places are there? (26 Jul 2000)

55. What is the effect of diet cola on pregnancy? How much caffeine should you consume? (26 Jul 2000)

56. I have had type 1 diabetes for four-and-one-half years. We have been trying to get pregnant for just over a year. Can having diabetes be affecting our fertility? (26 Jul 2000)

57. I am trying to find out if there are any natural and/or over-the-counter types of fertility pills. (26 Jul 2000)

58. My sister is pregnant with her first child. She is 34 years old and has been told that she has gestational diabetes. What level should a six month pregnant woman maintain? (26 Jul 2000)

59. I have had type 1 diabetes for the past 16 years. I am "well controlled" and my husband and I have decided to start trying for a baby. Apart from monitoring my blood sugars, is there anything else I should be doing? (26 Jul 2000)

60. I am 34 years old and have just found out that I am eight or to nine weeks pregnant. I now inject insulin twice daily. My doctors state the numbers look okay. Why do I show sugar in my urine during my doctors visits? What does glucose in the urine indicate? (26 Jul 2000)

61. I am 28 years old. I was diagnosed yesterday with diabetes and I am 10 weeks pregnant. They want to start me on insulin immediately. Do I need to begin on insulin? Should I get a second opinion? (26 Jul 2000)

62. My wife is currently pregnant with fraternal twins and is in her 25th week. Last week, she was diagnosed with oligohydramnios in one of her sacs and this week she was diagnosed with gestational diabetes. What are the specific risks? (26 Jul 2000)

63. I had gestational diabetes. I now know that it was likely brought on by my problem with Polycystic Ovary Syndrome. Should I be concerned about my daughter either (1) developing diabetes (type 1 or 2), or (2) developing PCOS like I did? (25 Jul 2000)

64. My daughter is eight years old has had type 1 diabetes for two months. She has just started taking Ultralente and is in the honeymoon stage. She was on NPH but we had to many lows. The Ultralente seems to control her better. I am looking for information about children and Ultralente since most take a combination of NPH and Regular or Humalog. (25 Jul 2000)

65. What is the difference between the new analog and Humalog? How does a physician determine which insulins to start a child on? (25 Jul 2000)

66. My daughter is nine years old, drinks a lot, urinates a lot, and has recently complained about blurred vision and a "flickering" of her eye and headaches. She's about eight pounds overweight. Her paternal grandfather has type 2 diabetes. Do you think she should be checked out and what exactly are the tests to be done to rule diabetes out? (25 Jul 2000)

67. Who likes taking needles? My 12 year old does not. Can you please give us your opinion on the product called MediJector? (25 Jul 2000)

68. In Canada as in many other countries we use the international system of measurement for glucose blood parameters (mmol/L). Do you think that glucose levels could be expressed in both sets of units so that international visitors to your web site could better relate to the questions and answers? (25 Jul 2000)

69. I have a five year old who was diagnosed 10 months ago with type 1. A distributor called me wanting me to put my daughter on his products, claiming that if she is still in the honeymoon stage her diabetes may be reversed. Do you think the products could really do what he claims, or is he simply trying to "drain my pockets?" (25 Jul 2000)

70. My nine year old daughter has had symptoms of shakiness in the legs and headaches almost every day. Her pediatrician ordered a blood test for diabetes that was normal. However, recently, her symptoms seem to have worsened. Could this still be diabetes? (25 Jul 2000)

71. I have an eight year old with type 1 diabetes who was diagnosed four years ago. For the past three years, in hot sunny weather, she has very high readings. Does the heat/sun affecting readings in a strong way? (25 Jul 2000)

72. I am scoutmaster taking a crew for 2 weeks of wilderness backpack camping this coming summer. One of our crew is an 17 year old boy who was diagnosed with diabetes two years ago. Any suggestions on the types of snacks he could carry to minimize weight? Is there anything else we should be doing to ensure he has a safe and enjoyable trip? (25 Jul 2000)

73. How can I keep my blood sugars under control and lose weight? (25 Jul 2000)

74. I am 20 years old and was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes about three months ago. Now that I have regulated my sugars, I have put on more weight. I want to lose it, but nothing is working. What can I do to lose this weight and feel better about myself? (25 Jul 2000)

75. My nine year old was diagnosed with type 1 two years ago and has adjusted very well. My son, who is almost three has begun to cry and fuss when asked to eat. Today, he vocalized that he had to have a shot before eating. Has anyone had any experience or helpful suggestions in dealing with the emotions and fears of siblings of a child with diabetes? (24 Jul 2000)

76. I have type 1 diabetes and so does my husband. We both have been diagnosed with this problem for more than 15 years now. I would like to know if we can have a biological child and the chances of it having diabetes. (24 Jul 2000)

77. I am 26 and I was diagnosed just after my second birthday. I have been pregnant once and lost it due to high blood sugar. My sugar has bounced really badly ever since. Will I ever be able to get it under control and would my body handle the strain of a pregnancy? (24 Jul 2000)

78. I had many complications with my gestational diabetes. While under medical supervision in the hospital I started having seizures. Then a week later I went into ketoacidosis. Once again all while in the hospital. How common is this with women who have gestational diabetes? (24 Jul 2000)

79. I am 29 years old and have had type 1 diabetes for 26 years. My husband and I are starting to think about starting a family. A doctor once was very negative. My doctor now said that having a baby does not mean death or blindness or kidney failure. Is there a way to get in touch with other diabetic women who have had a child or can you provide me with any information? (24 Jul 2000)

80. My partner 28 years old and has type 1 diabetes diagnosed 10 years ago. She has now been on Humalog for 18 months, and has never had better control of her blood sugar levels. We are planning a pregnancy and would like an update on the progress of any clinical trials of Humalog and pregnancy. (24 Jul 2000)

81. My son is six years old and has had diabetes for two years. What suggestions do you have for good and yummy nighttime snacks to prevent nighttime lows? (24 Jul 2000)

82. My son is eight years old and was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes three months ago. I try my best to balance his diet but he never has liked vegetables. He was on vitamins before, should he keep taking them? (24 Jul 2000)

83. She is very shaky all the time, feels nauseated a lot, drinks and eats a lot, and has very bad mood swings. We had her tested and had low blood sugar. Does that rule out hypoglycemia? She has three grandparents who take insulin. Does that increase her chances of being that way too? (24 Jul 2000)

84. I have had type 1 diabetes for 13 years. I am 30 years old. I am 14 weeks pregnant. I have been having many low blood sugars, low being in the 30s. Can my baby have defects related to the low blood sugars? (24 Jul 2000)

85. A Bedouin boy in an area not connected to a main electric power supply lines is looking for a device to store his insulin. The area is very warm. Can you please recommend a source of supply for such small cooling devices? (23 Jul 2000)

86. My son five year old was diagnosed with type 1 about three months ago. I have been introduced to some food which are indicated in helping regulate the endocrine system. Is anyone familiar with the positives and negatives of giving my son these gluconutrients? (23 Jul 2000)

87. I am a 41-year-old man who was diagnosed with type 1 over 27 years ago. I visited a new internist who suggested that Actos would help me manage the peaks and valleys of my blood glucose. I checked it out and the Actos website says that it is "inappropriate" for type 1. Should I fill the prescription? (23 Jul 2000)

88. We use a lot of fructose in my daughter's meal plan. What are the long term effects on the eyes? (23 Jul 2000)

89. My son has never had good control with dramatic blood glucose numbers swings from 25 to 450 in the same day. What causes him to lose consciousness and have a grand-mal seizure at around 5:00 am even when his number is 84? (23 Jul 2000)

90. I have a 7 year old who had had type 1 diabetes for almost six years. Tonight at bedtime, I realized I forgot to give her the dinner time shot. What should I do in case this happens again? Hopefully it won't. (23 Jul 2000)

91. My 24 month old son has recently been diagnosed with type 1. If his remaining beta cells are still producing insulin why can they not be extracted and cloned? Are there any documented cases of children growing out of diabetes when they have been diagnosed so young? (23 Jul 2000)

92. I was just informed by my nine year old son's father past week he has been having to go to the bathroom more frequently. His father tested his blood sugar and it was 400. Do you think I should take him to be tested for diabetes? (23 Jul 2000)

93. I have several family members and friends who tell me they are "hypoglycemic". What causes people who are not on insulin to have hypoglycemia? Why does the pancreas release more insulin then needed, and why don't people who are hypoglycemic need to do glucose testing for safety reasons? (23 Jul 2000)

94. My 19 month old niece's feet sweat profusely, summer as well as winter. Recently, a nurse told my sister-in-law it was a symptom/sign of pediatric diabetes. Could you please give me some more insight regarding this matter? (23 Jul 2000)

95. Does a child with hypoglycemia use the same diet as a child with diabetes? (23 Jul 2000)

96. My oldest daughter is fourteen years old. She does a lot of babysitting for me with her brother. I have recently taught her how to do my son's shots. I have a lot of family members and friends who think she is too young for this responsibility. Do you think this is putting too much on her at this age? (23 Jul 2000)

97. In the beginning stages of diabetes, is it possible that the insulin and/or sugar levels may fluctuate drastically with signs and symptoms being months apart? (22 Jul 2000)

98. I am a young adult type 1 on a pump. I will be doing a lot of outdoor/beach activities while on vacation for a week. What is recommended for pump users who have extended exposure to heat? (22 Jul 2000)

99. My father has diabetes type 2 and I had diabetes while pregnant. I have a 9 year old who weighs 100 pounds. I am concerned about her health. What tests she should have done? (22 Jul 2000)

100. My 5 year old daughter has been diagnosed for over a year now. When we do her finger pokes, I notice when her blood is higher it comes out a lot faster than when she is lower. Does this happen to others also? Or does it just seem that way? (22 Jul 2000)

101. Can a person with type 1 diabetes attend a military collage or a police academy? (22 Jul 2000)

102. My daughter's blood sugar levels swing some pretty large distances. What are the dangers of levels higher than 250? (22 Jul 2000)

103. My 13 year son was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes about 6 months ago. I need ideas on what are "free foods" and what determines them as "free foods". (21 Jul 2000)

104. I have just been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and I have hypothyroidism. Recently, I had to have my gall bladder removed. When I went back to have my glucose (fasting) done again it was 188. Did my surgery cause the reading to be off? Second, I have hypothyroidism. Since my metabolism is running so slow, could that be affecting my glucose reading? (21 Jul 2000)

105. My one-and-one-fifth year old son was diagnosed with diabetes 2 months ago. Recent tests showed that C-peptide is normal, but there are antibodies. What does it mean? May he have type 2? (21 Jul 2000)

106. My son is 2 years old. A month ago, we detected all symptoms of diabetes and went to hospital. Now he needs only 4-5 units/day of NPH insulin. Is this the period called the "honeymoon"? What can we do as parents to preserve the rest of the islets that are still working? (21 Jul 2000)

107. I am a 48 year old woman, who is approximately 50 pounds overweight and is exhibiting many symptoms of diabetes. My Hemoglobin A1c and glucose tests are in the normal range. Is diabetes difficult to diagnose if it is borderline? (21 Jul 2000)

108. Now that I am a teenager I find myself wanting to sleep in on weekends, sometimes very late (noon) but on weekdays I usually get up around 7:15. I'm wondering if there is a general guideline I can go by for changing my insulin dosages when I get up late. (21 Jul 2000)

109. Is NovoRapid approved for use by children? (20 Jul 2000)

110. Since insulin's job is to get the blood sugar down, why can't my son eat any thing he wants, even candies and give a larger dose of insulin? (20 Jul 2000)

111. I have a nephew who supposedly was waking up in the middle of the night with so-called nightmares. He woke up and seemed to have lack of control of his body. I saw an individual with low blood sugar once and his actions were similar. Can you advise me on anything or let me know if this could be related? (20 Jul 2000)

112. I am writing to you as I am very concerned about my niece who is 2 years and 4 months old. Is it normal procedure for a toddler who has been diagnosed 3 weeks ago, to still be so unbalanced and going from an extreme high to an extreme low? Do you think that we should seek help from doctors in a nearby country? (20 Jul 2000)

113. I'm 29, and was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes 24 years ago. My control for the last couple of years has been pretty good (HbA1c of around 6. 0), but I do suffer from high glucose readings in the morning. Is it okay to occasionally get the balance very wrong and have a very high reading ? (20 Jul 2000)

114. My 6 year old daughter have been recently diagnosed with reactive hypoglycemia. I'm very confused with the diet she must follow. Please can you help me? (20 Jul 2000)

115. My son is 8 years old and was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes 3 months ago. I try my best to balance his diet but he never has liked vegetables and now it seems even more important that he get the nutrients that they can give. He was on vitamins before. Should he keep taking them or what other foods have those same vitamins in them? (20 Jul 2000)

116. My daughter and I have same blood type and I'm healthy. Could my daughter take my kidney if I pass all the tests for kidney donors? (20 Jul 2000)

117. My 8 1/2 year old little girl always says she is thirsty. She is shaky and she has been taking naps. She has not taken naps since she was about 5. She also says she her belly hurts a lot. I have a family history of type 2 and my husband's parents have a history of type 2. Could she have diabetes? (20 Jul 2000)

118. My daughter is not taking control of her diabetes. She lowers required insulin doses, rarely checks her blood sugars, and does not follow her meal plan. It has recently become apparent that her lack of control is partly due to diabetic anorexia. What do I do now? (20 Jul 2000)

119. My 15 year old daughter has had "brittle diabetes" for 6 years now. Her blood sugars are erratic because her eating is out of control. Are there special places to send teens with diabetes who are way out of control to teach them how to deal with this? (19 Jul 2000)

120. My 10 year old son has recently been diagnosed with hypoglycemia. We are trying to find information for him to read so he can learn to recognize his symptoms when he is away from home. Any suggestions? (19 Jul 2000)

121. My son has had type 1 for 6 months. His adenoids and tonsils need to be removed. I am concerned about the effects on his diabetes. I would appreciate any information you can provide. (18 Jul 2000)

122. I've had Type 1 diabetes for about seven years now. Can you recommend a web site(s) that could provide information on type 1 weight loss? (18 Jul 2000)

123. I'm currently using Humalog in the pump and planning a pregnancy. The doctor hasn't said anything about switching insulins. If your blood sugar has to be 105 before meals and no higher then 120 one hour after, how would you adjust if the Humalog peaks after 2 hours? (18 Jul 2000)

124. My daughter is 13 years old and has suffered from a medical condition called Fanconi's Anaemia (FA) for about six years. She takes steroids to control FA, namely oxymetholone and prednisolone. Will the high sugar levels fall once we reduce the amount of steroids she is taking? (17 Jul 2000)

125. I understand there is a new 24 hour long acting insulin which has just been approved for marketing by the FDA. It is Lantus Glargine, made by Hoechst. Will this be a better option than NPH or Ultralente for a 4 year old recently diagnosed Type 1 child? (17 Jul 2000)

126. My 6 1/2 year old son was diagnosed at birth with Type 1 diabetes. Our doctor called to say he had a high microalbumin level. What exactly does this mean for his long term health? What kidney medications would he have to take and how do they adversely affect his health? How well do they work? (17 Jul 2000)

127. I just came across a magazine article that stated that children who are born to parents in their late forties to early fifties are at a higher risk for developing Type 1 diabetes. Why is this? (16 Jul 2000)

128. I am working with a 30 year old man with Downs Syndrome who has diabetes. He is experiencing lots of changes and challenges related to his living arrangement. I would like to know if there is any advice available in how to manage diabetes for people with intellectual disabilities. (16 Jul 2000)

129. My 15 year old daughter has type 1 diabetes since age 7. She has been experiencing lows at night and failing to wake up. When I find her, usually about 2 to 3:30 A.M., she is rigid and unresponsive. (16 Jul 2000)

130. My 16 year old daughter had a sudden growth spurt that occurred at the same time as a very strange disorder. She stumped the doctors. Could she possibly have some other disorder that causes extremely high insulin and epinephrine reactions? (16 Jul 2000)

131. My 9 year old son was diagnosed with diabetes one year ago. He goes through a lot of mood swings, even when his blood sugar is good (100-200). Is this normal? (16 Jul 2000)

132. My daughter has had Type 1 diabetes for 8 years now and has been generally well and able to control her sugars successfully. She was recently diagnosed with an overactive thyroid, and although we have not been advised of the type of medication, what are the implications and possible side effects? (15 Jul 2000)

133. My husband's 12 year old son has a seizure disorder that no one has been able to identify. His neurologist refuses to consider any correlation between blood sugar and his seizures. Orange juice has always been able to bring him out of his seizures. Does this sound like it could be diabetes or hypoglycemia? (15 Jul 2000)

134. My 15 year old son went on a insulin pump 6 weeks ago. Three weeks ago, he started complaining of back pain, took him to the physician and he had large amounts of blood in urine, and was diagnosed as a kidney/urinary tract infection. How long can he go with large amounts of blood in urine? (14 Jul 2000)

135. My son is 14 years old and has Type 1 diabetes. Since his diagnosis, we have been testing for low blood sugars at 2 A.M. We have asked our health team what to consider low enough to treat at this time and have gotten some very different numbers from different members of the team. (14 Jul 2000)

136. Are there any Do's and Don't's that have been compiled or can be advised for a child who is in thr honeymoon phase? (14 Jul 2000)

137. My daughter is 7.5 years old and has had Type 1 diabetes for 3 years. I want to know the ideal dose for her -- she's 25 kg., and whether I should give her insulin 3 times a day or 2 times. I've noticed that with 3 injections she's better controlled. I also want to know whether diabetes has anything to do with growing up short. (14 Jul 2000)

138. In children, why don't doctors start ACE inhibitors in the early years to protect the kidneys, instead of waiting until there is a problem (microalbumin in urine)? Why wait until the damage is beginning? (14 Jul 2000)

139. Our 6 year old son has had Type 1 diabetes for 15 months. Over the past several months, we have experienced many instances of his glucose levels being low at lunch and high at dinner. And do you have any suggestion to stop this occurrence? (14 Jul 2000)

140. I have a 6 years old son, diagnosed 6 months ago. I want to know how high blood sugars may affect his school work. He was tested to get into international school and he had high blood sugars and was very lethargic. He failed the test. (14 Jul 2000)

141. My ex-girlfriend has Type 1 diabetes. Last year, she went into a diabetic coma because she wanted to lose weight. Fortunately, she was able to come out of this one alive and well. Is there any thing or anyone I could talk to about helping this person out? (14 Jul 2000)

142. I have a son who will be 4 in a few months. I took insulin while pregnant with him. He has asthma. I have been noticing some things in him that lead me to wonder if he has diabetes. I would appreciate any information that could help, maybe some questions to ask the doctor, or tests we should have done. (13 Jul 2000)

143. My daughter is 21 months old and has Type 1 diabetes. She is on Humalog and NPH. She is gaining weight rapidly. She weights 32 pounds. Is this because of the insulin, and will she stop gaining so much at a certain age? (13 Jul 2000)

144. Our daughter is 15 and was diagnosed at age 11. This year she has decided to stop taking care of herself. Her A1C's have been over 13 for the last nine months. Is this common in teens and what is the best way to solve this? (8 Jul 2000)

145. My son is 12 and has had Type I diabetes for 5 years. Our biggest problem is that he continues to wet the bed. We have tried an alarm. He sleeps through it. We have tried DDAVP and it works for a few weeks and then it does not. (8 Jul 2000)

146. My daughter is 13 and has had Type1 diabetes since she was 4. About 6 months ago, she started having severe insulin reactions for three to four days on a monthly basis. After three or four days of lows, her insulin needs go back to normal. What is causing this? (8 Jul 2000)

147. My daughter is 7 years old and was diagnosed several months ago with Type 1 diabetes. Since the diagnosis, she has had two seizures in the morning (waking up) with normal level blood sugar levels (83 and 112). Our endocrinologist says he doesn't know what caused the seizures. (8 Jul 2000)

148. My son, age 7 1/2, was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes about 6 months ago. A few months before then, my son had started to "adjust" himself. Through the summer, he did it more frequently. And then, he was diagnosed with diabetes. Can I eliminate diabetes as the cause for this behavior? (8 Jul 2000)

149. My daughter is 6 and has Type 1 diabetes. She was diagnosed almost 4 years ago. She has also been diagnosed with atrophic dermatitis and alopecia areatia. I am wondering with all these autoimmune disorders, should we expect to see other problems arise in this area? (8 Jul 2000)

150. My son is 10 years old. Last year he was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes. He has had three seizures. I want to know if his sugar drops from 300 down to 83 real fast if that can cause a seizure. (8 Jul 2000)

151. I had gestational diabetes when pregnant with my son and now have insulin resistance. I have a cousin with Type 1 diabetes. I am worried that my son, who is now 4, could end up with diabetes. (8 Jul 2000)

152. Does a chronic elevation of blood sugar of 160 mg/dl cause any problems in the long run? (8 Jul 2000)

153. My eight-year-old granddaughter complains of excessive dryness of the feet requiring frequent wetting. I have Type 2 diabetes and as her other grandmother has Type 1. Could this be a symptom of diabetes? (8 Jul 2000)

154. Are insulin pumps available in Britain? (7 Jul 2000)

155. I have a client using Humalog in her pump. Several months after pump initiation, she and her provider noted pitting atrophy at her infusion sites. They switched back to buffered Regular and noted some improvement. Has the Humalog been noted to cause this reaction in other "pumpers"? (7 Jul 2000)

156. Our daughter has been on the insulin pump for two months. Periodically she has an "unexplained" high not caused by food. Any ideas about the cause? (7 Jul 2000)

157. I was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes about a year ago at age 28. On my last visit to my endocrinologist, he detected protein in my urine and said this may be the beginning of kidney disease. He asked for a 24 hour collection because sometimes women don't get a "clean-catch". How typical is this? (6 Jul 2000)

158. Is there a study or information available that indicates how long blood sugars are in higher range per day that adversely effects Hemoglobin A1c? (6 Jul 2000)

159. My 10 year old daughter has type 1 diabetes for over 9 years. Besides your typical children's vitamins and eating a healthy well balanced diet, are there any other supplements you would recommend? (6 Jul 2000)

160. My son was diagnosed at age 6, now 7. His 2-3 hour post meal number almost every day is 200-350. I ask his endocrinologist if a small amount of Humalog at lunch would correct the problem since my son only takes 2 shots/day. He says no. (6 Jul 2000)

161. My daughter is 9 years old and diagnosed 9 months old. Her endocrinologist said we needed to give her 2 units of Humalog if her sugar was over 150 before meals. We are not sure how much Humalog to give her if her sugar is over 200 after meals. (6 Jul 2000)

162. What's the latest word on non-invasive monitors? (6 Jul 2000)

163. My 7 year old son was diagnosed with granuloma annulare when he was 3 years old. He had a grand mal seizure when he was 4 years old and now has been diagnosed with a learning disability. (6 Jul 2000)

164. My daughter was diagnosed with ketotic hypoglycemia at 18 months of age. She is now 3 1/2 years old. We have a very difficult time finding info on ketotic hypoglycemia and so do our doctors/endocrinologists. Do you have any current information that we can add to her file? (6 Jul 2000)

165. My son is 5 years old; at birth he was hypoglycemic. I was told that he could have learning issues due to the extremely low glucose levels he experienced in the hospital. (6 Jul 2000)

166. About 6 months ago, my sister's son (11 years old) had hyperglycemia (3,4) which gave way after a diet. About a month ago, the diagnosis of the doctor was renal diabetes (glycemia 1,10; glucosuria 3X). The doctors here are hesitating about the diagnosis and don't know about the adequate treatment. (6 Jul 2000)

167. My 2 week old son shakes uncontrollably before feeding. We believe that he might be hypoglycemic. If so, what is the cure? (5 Jul 2000)

168. I'm diabetic type 1 for 16 years, now 31 years old, female. My nails on my hands are splitting and cracking all the time in spite of consistent adoption of the best vitamin-mineral complexes. Is it associated with nerve damage? No one doctor here can give me an answer. (5 Jul 2000)

169. My three year old son was diagnosed a little over a month ago. Now my six year old daughter is showing signs of the disease. We are in disbelief that two of our children could be diagnosed with diabetes within a months time. I was wondering if you have ever come across a similar case. (5 Jul 2000)

170. My son is 12 years and 10 months old. Ten months ago he started to manipulate his insulin shots without my knowledge. I'm so worried about the damage that he might caused to his body. (5 Jul 2000)

171. My 8 year old son who has had Type 1 diabetes for three years. His hemoglobin A1cs have been 5.6, 5.9, and 6.4 for the last three years. Recently, it was 6.9. Can you tell me how his A1cs are affected? Is it always the high sugars, or can frequent lows contribute to a high A1c? (5 Jul 2000)

172. Both of our kids have Type 1 (3 and 4 years old). They go to a private school that claims the IDEA law does not apply to private schools. They will not take care of their lunch shot and barely agree to emergency treatment. Is that right? (5 Jul 2000)

173. I know how that HbA1c lab values very a lot from lab to lab and even within the same lab. This makes it somewhat difficult to compare how much better or worse my diabetes control is. Is there going to be anything mandated to remedy this situation some time in the future? (5 Jul 2000)

174. My son is 7 years old and was diagnosed about one month ago with Type 1 diabetes. His blood tests came back showing negative antibodies to his pancreas. Should I be concerned about an underlying issue and request some further tests? (5 Jul 2000)

175. I have two sons with Type 1 diabetes. Recently in our local paper we saw an article about an 11-year-old girl diagnosed with "a rare form of sudden-onset juvenile diabetes and she died". Is this correct? (5 Jul 2000)

176. My 4 3/4 year old daughter was diagnosed one year ago. Since diagnosis, she seems to have more "stomach flu" type bugs than her peers. Our diabetes team does not seem overly concerned about this, but it worries me. Could this have anything to do with her diabetes? (5 Jul 2000)

177. My daughter was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes at 18 months old. She is now 4. She was potty trained at age 3, but always had a problem staying dry through the night. She bedwets 3-4 times a week, regardless of her blood sugar numbers. How can I control and handle this? (5 Jul 2000)

178. My son is on the ketogenic diet; he has been for 3 years. We chose the diet as treatment for seizures. It has worked 100%. However, his medical condition has just been diagnosed as a glucose transport defect of the brain barrier. His brain does not recognize glucose as fuel. (5 Jul 2000)

179. We have purchased a new meter which gets the blood sample from the forearm not the fingers. We have been using another meter for three years now. We use both systems simultaneously, however, the new meter tends to give us readings that are 25-35% higher than our other meter. Would please advise if such discrepancy is expected. (5 Jul 2000)

180. I was just diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes. I am 64 and am 5 foot, 5 inches tall, and weigh 123 pounds. I had surgery two years ago for a benign cystic adenoma of the pancreas and 3.5 cm of my pancreas was removed. I have never been able to find much on this kind of surgery (non-malignant), but wonder if my diabetes is likely connected to it. (5 Jul 2000)

181. I have a nephew in China who is only 15 years old. Unfortunately he got diabetes of type 1 one year ago. Several days ago, I was told that there is a new medicine discovered which can cure this disease. Could you tell me is this true? (5 Jul 2000)

182. My 4 year 9 month old son has had Type 1 diabetes since he was 15 months old. His doctor has never suggested checking his cholesterol or any other blood test other than A1c. Would this be beneficial at his age? (3 Jul 2000)

183. I have Type 1 diabetes. I want to compete in bodybuilding. I am 38 years old. Can I gain muscle by cutting back on my cardio? How aggressive can I get and will extra calories (lean calories) hurt me? (3 Jul 2000)

184. I am an RD, CDE and work at a Diabetes Center in a hospital setting. We have a new Women's Center opening and have been asked to establish protocols/standards for monitoring a diabetic mother and newborn after delivery. (3 Jul 2000)

185. I am looking for a place for my son at age 16 for him to get his diabetes under control; a place where there are people all the time who specialize in diabetes, not a regular hospital that the nurses aren't always working with these children. Is there anyplace in the U.S. that this happens? (3 Jul 2000)

186. Do you have any knowledge of any diabetologists who treat Type 1 diabetics who are also vegans? (3 Jul 2000)

187. My 6 year old son was diagnosed this past year. My concern right now is the stomach aches and headaches he has been complaining of lately. I have been reading up on aspartame. Is it possible this is hurting him? What is aspartame and why is it in everything dietetic? (3 Jul 2000)

188. With all the questions about the differences between whole blood glucose values and plasma values, why is it so difficult to get a chart with normal plasma values? Whenever someone asks about the subject, they seem to be given a conversion formula and not a chart with a range like I've always had with whole blood readings. (3 Jul 2000)

189. If my daughter should ever require a kidney transplant, what tests are done on interested parties/family members to check for compatibility? Is anyone's kidney okay if size is similar? (3 Jul 2000)

190. Can leukemia cause your sugar to drop? (3 Jul 2000)

191. My 5 year old son was diagnosed 4 months ago. Using a syringe was such a nightmare that we switched to pens. After that first usage you are supposed to leave the pens at room temperature but not above 77 degrees. How do I handle the storage of the insulin pens without harming the insulin? (3 Jul 2000)

192. Our 16 year old Type 1 diabetic son has high blood sugars every morning (10.2 -20.0). We check him at night and he is usually high as well (8.0 - 10.0). He takes N (long) insulin and R (intermediate) insulin at bedtime. What can we do to lower the A.M. high blood sugars? (3 Jul 2000)

193. I would like to get some half unit syringes for my two year old son. They are not available in South Africa. My husband will be in Buffalo, New York soon. Can he buy them retail from Wal-Mart? (3 Jul 2000)

194. My daughter is 11 years old. A recent urine test showed traces of microalbuminuria that was a little high according to her doctor. What does this mean? (1 Jul 2000)

195. I am traveling to Walt Disney World. My daughter, age 11, is newly diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes. The problem I am having is with Disney is that no one can give me any answers as to our scheduled insulin times and the dinner reservation along with the wait that is usually involved. (1 Jul 2000)

196. I'm interested in more information about my bald spot. Is this something I should contact my diabetes team about? (1 Jul 2000)

197. I am a 20 year old type 1 diabetic. I was diagnosed at the age of 7. I want to know if the Atkins (high protein) diet is safe. (1 Jul 2000)

198. My husband, 36 year old Caucasian, Type 1 diabetes since age 3, contracted malaria while on a business trip to India seven days ago. What complications can we expect from the malaria? Where can I find more information about this malaria infected diabetics? (1 Jul 2000)

199. When do you anticipate the arrival of a "closed loop" insulin pump on the American market (that is, a device that will have the capability to measure blood sugars and automatically deliver the appropriate dose of insulin)? (1 Jul 2000)

200. My cousin has diabetes are we were wondering how the regulation of glucose homeostasis is affected by injecting insulin into the blood. (1 Jul 2000)

201. My 25 month old son was diagnosed with islet cell hyperplasia at 18 months. Lows were in the 20s. He is currently taking 0.3 ml of diazoxide 3 times a day. Is there a diet that would benefit him? (1 Jul 2000)

202. Is Moduretic (a thiazide) or Atenolol (a beta blocker) contraindicated in Type 2 diabetes? (1 Jul 2000)

203. I have read in a diabetic guideline for pets entitled Diabetic Mellitus in the Dog and Cat by Dr. Abrams-Ogg that adding a drop of hydrogen peroxide to a urine sample can change the ketone d-hydroxybutyrate to acetoacetate which can then be detected by a urine ketone test strip. Can you verify this? (1 Jul 2000)

The Diabetes Team

Bill Jones, MD (Specialist in the management of diabetes during pregnancy, member since April 1997)
Marco Songini, MD (Italy) (Pediatric, adolescent, and adult endocrinologist and diabetologist, member since April 1997)
Larry Deeb, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since July 1998)
John Schulga, MBChB MRCGP MRCP FRCPCH (UK) (Consultant Paediatrician in childhood and adolescent diabetes and endocrinology, member since July 1999)
Stuart Brink, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since October 1999)
Matthew Brown, MD (Pediatrician and a Pediatric Diabetologist, member since January 2000)
Jim Lane, MD (Adult Endocrinologist, member since November 2000)
David Schwartz, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since May 2001)
Andrea Scaramuzza, MD (Italy) (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since October 2003)
Fran Kaufman, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since August 2006)
Linda DiMeglio, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist)

Barb Schreiner, RN, MPH, CDE (Diabetes Nurse Specialist, member since July 2002)
Jane Seley, RN, GNP, MPH, MSN, CDE, CHES (Diabetes Nurse Practitioner, member since August 2002)
Joe Solowiejczyk, RN, MSW (Family Therapist, member since April 2010)
Linda Mackowiak, RN, MS, FNP, CDE (Diabetes Nurse Specialist)

Jill Weissberg-Benchell, PhD (Medical Psychology and Psychiatry, member since January 2000)

James Michael Schurig, MS, RD, LD, CDE (Dietitian, member since December 2000)

Exercise Physiologists
Rick Philbin, M.Ed., A.T.C., C.S.C.S (Sports Medicine, member since July 2004)

Lois Schmidt Finney, RD, MPH, CDE (DPT-1 Research Coordinator, member since July 1998)
Heather Speer, MPH, CCRC, CDE (Clinical Diabetes Research and Education Coordinator, member since July 1998)

Social Workers
Debbie Butler, CDE, MSW, LICSW (Licensed Clinical Social Worker, member since October 2004)

And Our Occasional Experts