From Hong Kong:

My husband, 36 year old Caucasian, Type 1 diabetes since age 3, contracted malaria while on a business trip to India seven days ago. What complications can we expect from the malaria? Where can I find more information about this malaria infected diabetics?

Malaria does not pose any specific threat to someone with diabetes; but it is important to remember that a recurrent attack even when taking prophylactic medication such as with pyrimethamin or chloroquin may provoke ketoacidosis. Another problem, even though it is not longer much used, is that quinine may cause hypoglycemia. Reports are rather limited; but you could search under 'diabetes and malaria' in PubMed for more information.