Question:

From Milan, Michigan, USA:

My 5 year old son was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes about 4 months ago. Using a syringe was such a nightmare that we switched to the insulin pens and have no problem with him since. According to the directions, the pens are to be refrigerated until you use it. After that first usage you are supposed to leave the pens at room temperature but not above 77 degrees. Summer is coming and my house is not air conditioned. How do I handle the storage of the insulin pens without harming the insulin? I can't imagine trying to go back to the battle of using the syringes.

Answer:

You can store insulin pens in the refrigerator if you'd like. In addition, you can store an insulin pen at room temperature once you begin using the pen provided it is kept at a reasonable temperature. If your home gets much above 77 degrees, you may wish to store the pens in the refrigerator during the summer.