Question:

From Tennessee, USA:

My 7 year old son was diagnosed with granuloma annulare when he was 3 years old. He had a grand mal seizure when he was 4 years old and now has been diagnosed with a learning disability. His teacher says he stares off into space each afternoon and mid morning his writing and speech skills both are inconsistent--sometime almost normal, other times way below normal.

He has had blood sugar tests done with a meter by the health department at six month intervals. One reading was 63; the others average between 80 and 95. He also is always hungry and recently has had a sudden weight gain of about 12 pounds in less than a year. Could he be hypoglycemic or diabetic? Type one diabetes runs in our family (mother's side).

Answer:

Granuloma annulare is thought to be an autoimmune condition and is sometimes linked with diabetes. At the same time I think it very unlikely that your son has Type 1A (autoimmune) diabetes. However if you were anxious about this, you could ask his doctor to arrange an antibody test; a number to call about this is 1-800-425-8361. Your son would seem to not be a candidate for the DPT-1 trial but they could tell you where to get the test done. On the figures you give, I doubt also if he has any specific hypoglycemic syndrome and at this stage I would not think that it would be of value to carry out a complex metabolic assessment of all the possibilities.