Question:

From Kentucky, USA:

My eight-year-old granddaughter complains of excessive dryness of the feet requiring frequent wetting. Her feet are also shiny and smooth. She wakes me at night crying her feet are dry and spitting in her hands and wiping them on her feet. She says they do not burn or tingle. I have Type 2 diabetes and as her other grandmother has Type 1. Could this be a symptom of diabetes?

Answer:

This does not sound like any symptom of diabetes, but a skin sensitivity problem. I would have her seen by a pediatrician or take her to a dermatologist.

Posted to Diagnosis and Symptoms and Other Illnesses