Question:

From Saudi Arabia:

I'm 43 years old, type 2, diagnosed when 40 years old. I have some questions:

1. I use the medicine Minidiab. If I continue taking this medicine for the rest of my life, are there any side effects?
  2. Does a chronic elevation of blood sugar of 160 mg/dl cause any problems in the long run?
  3. Is it recommended to take vitamin E?

Answer:

1. I don't know which medication you are referring to. Chances are, it will not cause any problems if it is not causing problems now.
  2. What will cause problems are blood sugar levels of 160 if it is before meals. It has been shown in several large research studies that you should try to keep your blood sugar in the 80 to 120 range before meals. This is the best way to avoid complications.
  3. Some people feel that vitamin E will help you avoid heart problems.

VV

Posted to Hyperglycemia and DKA