Question:

From Sydney, New South Wales, Australia:

I am working with a 30 year old man with Downs Syndrome who has diabetes. He is experiencing lots of changes and challenges related to his living arrangement, his vocational arrangements and his family situation. The problem is that he does not yet understand the dangers of accessing unsuitable food and will go to great lengths to obtain it. He will search through garbage bins and take food from other people. His blood sugar tested today at 9 and we are all worried that without self control or constant one to one attention he will become very ill. I would like to know if there is any advice available in how to manage diabetes for people with intellectual disabilities.

Answer:

It can be very difficult for a person with Downs syndrome to understand diabetes. Hence the importance of having people who can help and support them. Your involvement would be very important if you already have a special role caring for him.

If he allows you to, why not ask him if you can go along with him to meet with the diabetes team and try and find out more about his diabetes and specific ways in which you could help?

JS