Question:

From London, Ontario, Canada:

I am 15 years old and I have had diabetes for more that thirteen years. Now that I am a teenager I find myself wanting to sleep in on weekends, sometimes very late (noon) but on weekdays I usually get up around 7:15. I'm wondering if there is a general guideline I can go by for changing my insulin dosages when I get up late (I currently have injections at breakfast, supper and bedtime).

Answer:

This is a common problem. Staying in bed until noon is very difficult on the insulin regimen that you are using. I suggest that you need to take your breakfast and insulin at around 8-8:30 am then go back to bed. If you are willing to get up at around 10 am, then you could try an adjustment of your bedtime insulin and use your 10 am blood sugar to fine-tune this. I would start with a 10-15% reduction -- it's better to start off with your 10 am sugars too high than risking a hypo before you get up.

Posted to Daily Care and Insulin