Question:

From Fairfield, California, USA:

My daughter's blood sugar levels swing some pretty large distances. What are the dangers of levels higher than 250? She seems to be that a lot; even up to 300-350. If she stays this high, then she get a shot. I always thought that it should be around 150 but the wife feels that it should be around 190-225 for sleeping, and the same range seem to be normal. What adverse affects will this have on her internal organs?

Answer:

How old is she? I do worry more about the little ones.

Nighttime is always a worry, but we do try to keep the glucose a bit lower than 225 for sleeping. Talk to your team, seems you might do with a little adjusting at this time.

The DCCT does tell us to try to keep glucoses in a good range to protect the eyes, kidneys, etc. Too low is also bad, so we have to balance as best we can. Keep trying.

Posted to Hyperglycemia and DKA and Complications