Question:

From Springfield, Virginia, USA:

I am going to Florida on vacation and a friend of mine brought a question to mind; perhaps you can help. I am a young adult type 1 on a pump. I will be doing a lot of outdoor/beach activities while on vacation for a week. I use Humalog in my pump, and have never really had trouble that I know of in the past, but I have not had extended exposure of my pump to sun/heat of Florida summers. So, I am wondering: If I have my pump on and spend a day in the Florida heat, what is recommended for pump users who have extended exposure to heat?

Answer:

My patients here in Florida do just fine. When you are in the sun and especially if you disconnect to be in the water, don't leave it in a place that will get hot such as a car, box, etc. Do keep it cool, but we seem to do just fine with kids outside, pump in place, and living the good life. Have a safe trip.

Posted to Insulin Pumps