From Springfield, Virginia, USA:

I am going to Florida on vacation and a friend of mine brought a question to mind; perhaps you can help. I am a young adult type 1 on a pump. I will be doing a lot of outdoor/beach activities while on vacation for a week. I use Humalog in my pump, and have never really had trouble that I know of in the past, but I have not had extended exposure of my pump to sun/heat of Florida summers. So, I am wondering: If I have my pump on and spend a day in the Florida heat, what is recommended for pump users who have extended exposure to heat?

My patients here in Florida do just fine. When you are in the sun and especially if you disconnect to be in the water, don't leave it in a place that will get hot such as a car, box, etc. Do keep it cool, but we seem to do just fine with kids outside, pump in place, and living the good life. Have a safe trip.

Posted to Insulin Pumps