Question:

From lacon, Illinois, USA:

My son is four years old. He was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the age of 22 months. My oldest daughter is fourteen years old. She does a lot of babysitting for me with her brother. I have recently taught her how to do my son's shots. I have a lot of family members and friends who think she is too young for this responsibility. Do you think this is putting too much on her at this age? She is a very mature and responsible girl. She has been doing his blood sugar tests since she was twelve. He is on Humalog and Ultralente. I always tell her how much to give and then she draws it out and injects. I have watched her do this for several weeks before entrusting her to do it on her own.

Answer:

Your family's team approach to diabetes is to be congratulated! Your daughter sounds wonderful and I know you must be very proud of her ability to help you and her brother. If she is able to perform the skills, I think she is absolutely able to continue to help you. We have children giving their own injections as young as they are able to have a feeling of control over their own diabetes. At 14 your daughter is showing great maturity to carry out these very important tasks.

KS

Posted to Other Social Issues