From lacon, Illinois, USA:

My son is four years old. He was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the age of 22 months. My oldest daughter is fourteen years old. She does a lot of babysitting for me with her brother. I have recently taught her how to do my son's shots. I have a lot of family members and friends who think she is too young for this responsibility. Do you think this is putting too much on her at this age? She is a very mature and responsible girl. She has been doing his blood sugar tests since she was twelve. He is on Humalog and Ultralente. I always tell her how much to give and then she draws it out and injects. I have watched her do this for several weeks before entrusting her to do it on her own.

Your family's team approach to diabetes is to be congratulated! Your daughter sounds wonderful and I know you must be very proud of her ability to help you and her brother. If she is able to perform the skills, I think she is absolutely able to continue to help you. We have children giving their own injections as young as they are able to have a feeling of control over their own diabetes. At 14 your daughter is showing great maturity to carry out these very important tasks.

Posted to Other Social Issues