Question:

From Pennsylvania, USA:

I was just informed by my son's father that within the past week he has been having to go to the bathroom more frequently than normal. I had read a pamphlet that also says that one sign of diabetes is severe dry skin. His skin has always been very dry to the point he looks like a snake. I was also informed that his father, within the past year has been diagnosed with diabetes and has to take oral pills. Diabetes is also a big factor on my side of the family. His father tested his blood sugar and it was 400. Do you think I should take him to be tested for diabetes? He is 9 years old.

Answer:

You do not mention your son's weight and how active he is but, rather than spend any more time worrying, I suggest you take him to your physician and have a blood sugar test done. Certainly diabetes runs in families and we are seeing more and more type 2 diabetes in children so it is not an unusual request to have a blood sugar tested.

KS

[Editor's comment: If the blood sugar of 400 were accurate (which is a big "if"), then it is urgent that your son promptly have further testing for diabetes. WWQ]