I have a 7 year old who had had type 1 diabetes for almost six years. Tonight at bedtime, 9:00 P. M., her blood glucose was 573. I realized I forgot to give her the dinner time shot. What should I do in case this happens again? Hopefully it won't.

We all make mistakes, and this is a very common mistake to make. Remember that you should try not to panic. The important thing to do is to give some insulin. This depends on how much she is normally on and what type of insulin. You will need to give some short-acting insulin to get the blood sugar down.

It is worth discussing this with your diabetes team, regarding the dose to give.