From Cali, Colombia:

I just had an appointment with my daughter's dietitian and she mentioned that fructose uses a different way to metabolize but it accumulates around eye globe and in the long term use will cause damages into retina. I will highly appreciate your help on this matter because we use a lot of fructose as sweetener in a regular daily meal plan and don't want to create another problem solving one little one.

High doses of fructose administered both as sucrose and as fructose has been reported to produce damage to retinal blood vessels in laboratory rats. I could find no evidence however that these sugars in normal dietary quantities have any effects on the retina in man. The initial metabolism of fructose is different from glucose; but after the first step it is the same. There is likewise no evidence that the sugar accumulates preferentially around the globe of the eye.

DTQ-20000307180153 F/U
Posted to Meal Planning, Food and Diet and Complications