From Indiana, USA:

I am 29 years old and have had type 1 for 26 years. My husband and I have been married for seven years and are starting to think about starting a family. A diabetes doctor I was going to once told me that having a baby would lead to kidney failure and blindness and was very negative concerning the matter. My doctor now said that having a baby does not mean death or blindness or kidney failure. I trust him completely, but the other words concerning having a baby just seem to stick in my head. Is there a way to get in touch with other diabetic women who have had a child or children and ask them questions or can you provide me with any information that would be helpful?

Your current doctor has given you more realistic expectations. If you currently have good kidney function and no retinopathy then it is unlikely that you will have any worsening of your condition solely due to pregnancy. Women have written to this web site with questions about their own pregnancies. You may be able to contact some of them if you put up a question on the bulletin board.

[Editor's comment: There is a Pregnancy section at the Bulletin Board at Children with Diabetes WWQ]

Posted to Family Planning