Question:

From Five Points, Tennessee, USA:

I am 26 and I was diagnosed just after my second birthday. I have been pregnant once and lost it due to high blood sugar. It was over 400 mg/dl (22.2 mmol/dl) when I found out I was pregnant. That was three years ago, and my sugar has bounced really badly ever since. Will I ever be able to get it under control and would my body handle the strain of a pregnancy?

Answer:

Yes, you can get your blood sugar under control. It may require frequent daily blood sugar checks and multiple insulin injections or even an insulin pump, but it can be done. Once your blood sugar is well controlled then you can consider pregnancy. Your body should be able to handle it. I would suggest that you speak with your endocrinologist and explain what your goal is.

Posted to Family Planning