Question:

From India:

I have type 1 diabetes and so does my husband. We both have been diagnosed with this problem for more than 15 years now. My age is 26 and his 28. I would like to know if we can have a biological child and the chances of it having diabetes. We both are on human insulin and have adopted the intensive therapy treatment for having good diabetes control.

Answer:

As long as you have good blood sugar control and no secondary effects of diabetes (hypertension, kidney or eye disease) then pregnancy can be successful. Make sure you are receiving care from a specialist familiar with diabetes and pregnancy. Your child may be at increased risk of developing diabetes because of your and your husband's history. There is some antibody screening that can be done in children that may help in predicting the risk, but this may still be investigational.

Posted to Genetics and Heredity