Question:

From Farmington Hills, Michigan, USA:

I am 20 years old and was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes about three months ago. I've had a concern with my weight for years and have been trying to lose about 15 pounds. In fact, when I was diagnosed with diabetes, I was on the Atkins diet. Now that I have regulated my sugars, I have put on more weight. I want to lose it, but nothing is working. What can I do to lose this weight and feel better about myself?

Answer:

I would suggest you start with the dietitian on your diabetes team. Weight gain is a common problem for many people with or without diabetes. Some of the reasons for weight gain include: a history of dieting, lack of adequate exercise, and lack of monitoring exactly what is being eaten on a daily basis. Many foods, high in fat, low in fiber, have crept in to the American diet, and they are taking their toll. Exercise is a big key to weight loss and maintenance. It is recommended people exercise a minimum of three days a week for 30 minutes (working up a sweat). I can be very helpful to write down everything you eat on a daily basis in order to help you recognize any problem areas and to get a better idea of why a few pounds may be creeping on. A visit with you doctor may also be helpful in order to rule out an physical reason for weight gain. Good luck.

JM

Posted to Weight and Weight Loss