From Crystal City, Virginia, USA:

I am scoutmaster taking a crew to Philmont, New Mexico, for 2 weeks of wilderness backpack camping this coming summer. One of our crew is an 17 year old boy who was diagnosed with diabetes two years ago. We have noticed during our shakedowns that he is constantly snacking. We will likely have to organize special re-provisioning for him every couple of days so he doesn't have to carry 10 days worth of snacks. Any suggestions on the types of snacks he could carry to minimize weight? Is there anything else we should be doing to ensure he has a safe and enjoyable trip?

I am so glad that you are supporting this young man in his experience. I hope that he will visit with his doctor and diabetes team before he goes in order to make any insulin adjustments that might be appropriate with the amount of activity he will have. Snacking is a must with anyone who will be this active regardless of the insulin regimen he is on. He may need a couple of snacks each hour to keep him going. Fortunately, he can use some of the more concentrated carbohydrates when he is active. However, this can be controversial. There are many snack bars, fruit roll-ups, some more healthy candy bars such as peanut butter cups, raisins, granola mixes, etc. that can be used which are more packable. I would definitely encourage him to contact his diabetes team for further ideas and some possible suggestions for insulin adjustment. I hope this helps and that you have a safe and exciting experience.

Posted to Daily Care and Other Social Issues