Question:

From Santa Rosa, California, USA:

My nine year old daughter has, for a year and a half now, had symptoms of shakiness in the legs and headaches almost every day. Her pediatrician ordered a blood test for diabetes that was normal. So, I've been pampering her diet, making sure she's had snacks in between meals, even at school. The doctor suggested that some people just react this way when hungry or not having eaten for long periods. However, recently, her symptoms seem to have worsened. Now she is also getting shaking in the hands, she feels weak enough not to want to walk, very moody, cries when she is symptomatic and refuses to eat, says her stomach hurts. I am confused because the original blood test came back normal. Could this still be diabetes?

I have also heard about prediabetes. What is that? Could that be what is going on? I am very concerned because just a couple of days ago, my daughter went to her Karate class and as soon as she came home my neighbor invited her swimming. It was so hot, so I said sure. She soon came home in tears that she could barely get herself out of the pool because she felt so weak.

Answer:

The symptoms do not sound like diabetes, especially if a blood test for diabetes was normal. It is very difficult to tell what is going on, but you do need to take her back to your paediatrician and have her checked out for other problems, not diabetes.

JS