From New York, New York, USA:

My wife is currently pregnant with fraternal twins and is in her 25th week. Last week, she was diagnosed with oligohydramnios in one of her sacs and this week she was diagnosed as having gestational diabetes. What are we dealing with exactly? My wife and I are familiar with each individual diagnosis, but are unclear what this means together. What are the specific risks? If we have to induce within the next few weeks, what are the chances of survival?

Your wife has two separate problems. The gestational diabetes is not causing the decreased fluid around one of the twins. With diet and maybe insulin the diabetes can be managed. Of more concern is the decreased fluid. This may be due to several different reasons: poor fetal growth (stress), early leakage of fluid, kidney abnormalities, etc. Without more details I cannot give you anything more specific.

Presumably your wife is already consulting with a high risk specialist about further management. At 25 week survival is possible, but the risks of long term complications are almost 100%. The longer the babies remain in utero, the better will be their survival. However, if conditions in the uterus worsen, then they may be better off in the neonatal intensive care unit.

Posted to Gestational Diabetes