Question:

From Mississippi, USA:

My sister is pregnant with her first child. She is 34 years old and has been told that she has gestational diabetes. I have read a lot on this subject, but so far have not found any guidelines as to what blood sugar level she should try to maintain.

One person has told her that she should strive to maintain a blood sugar level of 80 mg/dl (4.4 mmol/dl), but, as a person with type 2 diabetes, myself, I find that a level of 80 mg/dl leaves me feeling weak.

What level should a six month pregnant woman maintain?

Answer:

I use the following guidelines: fasting between 60 and 90 mg/dl (3.3 and 5.0 mmol/dl) and one hour after meals less than 130 mg/dl (7.2 mmol/dl). I have found that most women can tolerate this.

Posted to Gestational Diabetes