Question:

From Ada, Ohio, USA:

I am trying to find out if there are any natural and/or over-the-counter types of fertility pills. I have type 1 diabetes and I am now 23 years old. I do have an appointment with my doctor next month, but I thought I might go in "armed" with some alternate suggestions (she tends to want to always prescribe a strong drug). If you can't answer my question, might you be able to lead me to someone who could help me?

Answer:

I usually refer fertility problems to other colleagues so I am not as up to date on current therapy. I am not aware of any nonprescription fertility medications. However, there are steps you can take to optimize the chances of fertility such as identifying when you ovulate and methods to maximize your partners sperm count. You should speak with your gynecologist about these. The big question though is: do you need any treatment? Usually, an evaluation for infertility is commenced after failure to conceive following a year of unprotected and relatively frequent intercourse.

Posted to Family Planning and Alternative Therapies and Explanations