Question:

From Berkeley, California, USA:

I am 31 years old and have had type 1 for 11 years. I went on the pump almost two years ago and stayed with Humalog when I did so. My HgbA1c has been 6.8-7.1% steadily for five years (I am working hard now on hitting 6.5% before pregnancy). I just went off oral contraceptives, and we are planning a pregnancy as soon as I establish a natural menstrual cycle (so we can date the pregnancy). After reading your web site, I am thinking about starting on Regular insulin for the pregnancy. I appreciate your reporting on this, since it had never occurred to me that lispro might not be tested in pregnant women.

My question is about wearing a pump during pregnancy. I inject across my lower abdomen only. Do pregnant women experience difficulty with the injection site because of the tight stretching of the skin in that area during pregnancy?

Answer:

I am seeing many more women who use insulin pumps during pregnancy. They do not appear to have any difficulty with the injection site. Also, talk with your endocrinologist about switching to regular insulin from Humalog. The benefits of using Humalog may outweigh any risks.

Posted to Family Planning