Question:

From Kentucky, USA:

I am a pharmacist who has participated for the past 22 years in diabetes education. I have a 17 year old son who was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the age of 11. Is there a way for him to participate in a GlucoWatch study or to obtain a GlucoWatch and sensors prior to marketing? The opportunity to obtain very frequent readings would be ideal.

Answer:

As far as I know the clinical trials with GlucoWatch for adults are now complete and the makers are only waiting for final FDA approval and to confirm support mechanisms. The product is due to be marketed with a video as well as an instruction manual. Trials are due to begin here on children in about two months.

[Editor's comment: Once the GlucoWatch is FDA approved, your son is already old enough to use it. It is expected to be available sometime next year. You might contact the company directly regarding pre-release use. SS]

Posted to Research: Monitoring