Question:

From Ottawa, Ontario, Canada:

I am 22 years old and I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes four years ago. Since the day I was diagnosed, I have been gaining weight. When first diagnosed I weighed 93 pounds. Now I weigh 153 pounds. I know that insulin causes weight gain, but I need to know if there are any vitamins that I can take to help me lose weight. I have a dietitian and I have a 1575 calorie diet. I am still gaining weight. Is there anything I can do? I am fairly active. Also, I have stopped eating for a day at a time, but, the next day, I eat and eat and eat and never feel full.

Answer:

Weight gain can be a big issue when trying to replace insulin in the body. You do not say which insulin regimen you are on. People who are on more flexible insulin regimens, such as taking the insulin based on the number of carbohydrate servings or grams they are eating, will sometimes be tempted to overeat. I would suggest that you start writing down everything you eat and then take a look at the foods you are eating to see if you can cut back on some of the fat or maybe even some foods that may not be fitting into your meal plan. Exercising consistently, at least three to four times a week for at least 30 minutes at a time, would also be beneficial. I would also suggest you discuss your concerns with your doctor to see if there may be any other problems that may be causing unwanted weight gain such as low thyroid. A visit with your dietitian may be a good idea as well to help you assess your current eating habits.

JM

Posted to Weight and Weight Loss