From Ponce, Puerto Rico:

I have a 5 year old son who was recently diagnosed with reactive hypoglycemia. His doctor sent us to a dietitian, so she could design a "diabetic diet" for him. The problem is that it is not working. He continues to have blood sugar drops, and sometimes he says to me he's having "thoughts" he doesn't understand and cannot describe. I'm very concerned about this, but I don't know what to do. Somebody told me to find out about the "glycemic index" in food before continuing with this diet. What is the best way to go?

This problem is unrelated to diabetes. In fact it is due to too much, rather than too little, insulin being produced. Regular intake of starchy carbohydrate and avoidance of large quantities of simple sugars -- glucose and sucrose -- should avoid the hypoglycaemic episodes.

Additional comments from Lois Schmidt Finney, diabetes dietitian:

I hope he is having small snacks throughout the day and no concentrated sweets, such as candy, juices, fruit, etc. by themselves. We have found that to be most helpful.

Posted to Hypoglycemia and Meal Planning, Food and Diet