Question:

From Montreal, Canada:

I am 36 weeks pregnant, and I'm worried because my doctor told me I have diabetes. What are the risks for my baby if I have a high sugar? Is it very complicated to have a situation like this during pregnancy?

Answer:

I am presuming that you have developed gestational diabetes. The main risk to the baby is excessive fetal growth. If your blood sugar remains high, the baby can actually have problems with low blood sugar after birth. However, it you follow your diet carefully or even require insulin, then these problems with the baby can be reduced.

Posted to Gestational Diabetes