From Monroe, Louisiana, USA:

I am 29 and I have had type 1 diabetes for 17 years. I struggled with my HMO to get an insulin pump because I was going into several comas (3-4 times a month) with blood sugars averaging 15 to 30 mg/dl (0.83 to 1.67 mmol/L). My doctor and I tried several insulin adjustments but I could get any reprieve from the lows. Then, I became pregnant for the first time, but went into another coma at four weeks. When I was at eight weeks, an ultrasound determined that my baby's heart was not beating and I had a D&C. Did that coma or comas prior to my pregnancy cause me to lose my baby?

There are many possible causes of pregnancy loss. Maternal hypoglycemia can affect the fetus but I am not sure if it can lead to fetal death. Low blood sugars prior to conception would have no effect on the fetus.

Posted to Family Planning