From India:

I want to know about a capsule called INSULEN. Can it replace insulin shots for people with Type 1 diabetes, as is being claimed by a website? If it cannot, could you please suggest a replacement to insulin shots in a country like India?

I was not able to track down 'INSULEN' capsules so I have no idea whether they are some form of oral insulin or an alternative medicine remedy. In any case I would talk to your doctor first to make quite sure that you do have an insulin dependant form of diabetes. If you do, there is at the moment no alternative to injected insulin. Inhaled insulin devices do exist; but they are experimental, and would not be at all suitable for your needs. Another alternative to consider would be an insulin pump if there is a group in your area who has experience in managing these. It is expensive to set up and most people need quite a lot of help in the early weeks.

Additional comments from Dr. Stuart Brink:

There is no capsule insulin available for regular insulin treated diabetes. There are some experimental versions but these are also not yet available for routine use. Sorry.

Type 2 diabetes can be treated with a variety of pills and capsules but these do not contain insulin -- they only make the insulin work better, increase insulin sensitivity, etc.

Posted to Alternative Therapies and Explanations