Question:

From Ripon, Wisconsin, USA:

My boyfriend's son has had type 1 diabetes since he was 12. He is now 16. The son is always drinking alcohol (hard liquor) and beer. His sister says he drinks every day. He also smokes marijuana and who knows what else. He takes his insulin three times a day, but doesn't seem to care about anything else. My boyfriend's attitude is that, since the diabetes has already cut his life in half, just let him have fun while he can. If the son continues this kind of lifestyle, how soon will he start to see complications occurring? What can I do to get this kid some help? Where do I start?

Answer:

Your boyfriend's attitude toward his son's behavior is irresponsible. It is certainly not helping the situation for a parent to just "look the other way" and assume that his son is doomed. Why should the teenage boy care if his father has already written him off? This is disturbing.

CMB

[Editor's comment: It sounds like this young man needs some professional help. You might suggest that he and his dad see a counsellor. Hopefully, this young man's diabetes team has one available. If not, they can start with the school counsellor and go from there. If your boyfriend refuses to consider your suggestion, you might need to rethink your own relationship with him. SS]

Posted to Behavior