From Ohio, USA:

I am a 36 year old female with type 2 diabetes, diagnosed seven-and- one-half years ago. I was taking oral medication but recently started taking injections twice a day. I absolutely hate it. I am scared to death of the needles and it is not easy for me to do. I feel hopeless -- do you have any advice to make this easier? Will I always have to take injections from now on?

Since I don't know the particulars of your case, it would be hard to comment. However, I have known patients who went from oral agents to insulin injections and were able to return to oral agents, once they made vigorous lifestyle changes: exercising and nutrition management. I hope those options are available for you as well. You might look into your needle phobia with a skilled counselor also.

[Editor's comment: You might be less scared if you use the Inject-EaseŽ injection device. This holds the syringe so you can't see the needle similar to the way in which a lancing device holds the lancet and "sticks" for you. Most people get used to the shots after a while. I'm sure it will get easier for you. SS]