Question:

From Mt. Pleasant, Pennsylvania, USA:

I have these symptoms: fatigue, extreme thirst (during meals I drink possibly 5 glasses of water, and I can down gallons during the day without quenching my thirst), extreme hunger (I'm still very hungry after I eat), urinary tract infection around once a month, and frequent urination and bladder control problems. I had kidney problems when I was younger, so could this have something to do with that?

Answer:

Your symptoms are concerning to me. It would be helpful to know your age, and, if you have previously been diagnosed as having diabetes. Regardless, these symptoms could represent diabetes (if you haven't previously been diagnosed with diabetes) or inadequate control of diabetes (if you already have diabetes). In addition, there are other causes other than diabetes that could be causing your symptoms. I would discuss these with your physician promptly.

With regard to your question about kidney problems as a child -- I'm unsure, based on what you have shared, how that might be related to your current problems. Again -- please promptly discuss these problems with your physician.