Question:

From Kentucky, USA:

Could you provide a list of vitamin supplements that would be of benefit to people with type 1 diabetes? I have read that Vitamin E is good for prevention of eye complications. Are there others that would help maintain health?

Answer:

I am not aware of any vitamins that have been specifically shown to be of benefit. I think a lot of evidence is not concrete.

It is important that above all any person with diabetes is on a well balanced healthy diet with minimal fat, refined sugar, high in fibre, and with adequate amounts of carbohydrate. If you are on a balanced diet with fresh fruit and vegetables, then I believe that vitamin supplements are not necessary.

The best way of avoiding complications in diabetes is to have glucose control as normal as possible.

JS

Posted to Alternative Therapies and Explanations