Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Questions from August 2000

Do you have a question you want to ask to an experienced team of diabetes Health Professionals? The health care professionals of the Diabetes Team lend their many years of experience to answer your questions. Be sure to read the Diabetes Team Disclaimer and the Message from the Diabetes Team. You can review the credentials of our Diabetes Team members by clicking on their names below or on their initials in each answer.

[ Topical Index | Current Questions | Jul 15 | Jun 15 | May 15 | Apr 15 | Mar 15 | Feb 15 | Jan 15 | More... | Submit Question ]

1. We would be very grateful if you could help us regarding the problem my daughter is having. We had her first lab test done when her body weight dropped 4kgs. We had her do three lab tests from which the local pediatrician confirmed that she had diabetes. (31 Aug 2000)

2. I am looking for information on low amylase. My son is 13 years old and has Type 1 diabetes and asthma. Over the last nine months, his amylase is dropping and his amylase is elevated. He has had an increase of stomach pain over the last six months. Could it be gastroparesis or celiac disease? (31 Aug 2000)

3. I have a nine year old son who was diagnosed with diabetes at age two, and we have two other sons. We have been watching for diabetes in our three year old. He has some high sugars. His glycohemoglobin was 6.5%, and his C-peptide was 0.9. Is this normal for this age and what should be done if anything? (31 Aug 2000)

4. I am outraged at parents that choose not to personally monitor and supervise (or perform) the glucose monitoring, dietary needs and insulin injections for their children. How many parents out there actually accept the "inconvenience" and manage or co-manage their children's diabetes? (31 Aug 2000)

5. When I was very young, the doctor said I was having a sugar problem and he gave me some pills that helped. Well, I am now 36 years old, and I have been having problems. I thought children grew out of diabetes. Do children grow out of this? (31 Aug 2000)

6. My daughter is 11 years old and has had type 1 diabetes for about a year. She is currently on Humalog and Ultralente. I have several questions. (31 Aug 2000)

7. My five year old daughter was diagnosed as being clinically obese three and one-half years ago. She now weighs about 78 pounds. We saw an endocrinologist who ordered a blood draw to check for insulin levels. What are the ramifications? What are we looking for? (31 Aug 2000)

8. Am I being a hypochondriac mother or should I be concerned about my nine year old daughter? Recently she wet the bed -- something she has never done -- and has a history of waking at night to urinate (maybe 2-3 times a week.) She urinates maybe five or six times a day during waking hours. On the other hand, she does not have excessive thirst or hunger, is not losing weight, and is not fatigued. should I schedule a visit with her pediatrician? (31 Aug 2000)

9. Can diabetes ruin a woman's sex life? (30 Aug 2000)

10. We just got the test results back on my 11 year old son. His fasting blood sugar was 107 mg/dl [5.9 mmol/L] but his 3 hour glucose tolerance test was in the 300s {16.7 mmol/L]. What does this mean and why the variation? (30 Aug 2000)

11. My two year old granddaughter was diagnosed 6 weeks ago with type 1 diabetes. She experiences frequent periods of her hands shaking that seem to bear no relation to her blood sugars. Could something else be wrong? (30 Aug 2000)

12. My sister's first baby (boy) is two and a half years old and was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes last year. Since then, they have worked very hard to try to stablise his sugar levels but haven't been able to do a good job. Is there anything to help? (30 Aug 2000)

13. I am a case manager for a one year old male child who was admitted with a blood sugar of 16 mg/dl [0.89 mmmol/L. After treatment, he recovered quickly with no apparent ill results. His physician is proposing a 48 hour admission to challenge his system to see if he is truly hypoglycemic. Is this a medically accepted treatment for the diagnosis of hypoglycemia and if so where may I find documentation on this? (30 Aug 2000)

14. My son is six years old and was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes when he was two and one-half years old. We are having difficulty with wide blood sugar swings and he feels terrible most of the time. I don't know what to do. Do all children with diabetes struggle as my son is? (29 Aug 2000)

15. Our child was brought to the China hospital with diabetes ketoacidosis. When we asked if he is type 1 or 2 doctors said that he should be type 1 (like all kids) and ketoacidosis never developed in child type 2 diabetes and hence no other tests are necessary. What tests are done in USA for the exact determination of diabetes type? (29 Aug 2000)

16. Six weeks ago, I started giving my 15 year old, who has had diabetes all her life, vitamin D3 and calcium citrate. Her insulin requirements have decreased by 40%. I'm hoping to stir up some interest in nutritional biochemistry relating to juvenile diabetes. daily. Her insulin requirements have decreased by 40% and seem to be leveling off there at the present time. (29 Aug 2000)

17. My 14 year old son was originally diagnosed seven years ago. He has been on the same insulin dosage since his diagnosis. His blood sugars are always within range. His doctor recently did a glucose tolerance test and an antibody test. They came back normal. Could there be any damage from taking insulin for seven years? Could there be any other diagnosis? (29 Aug 2000)

18. I am a substance abuse counselor working with a female client, age 15, with type 2 diabetes. Almost all of her urine results have been positive for alcohol. Is this related to her diabetes? (29 Aug 2000)

19. My three and one-half year old son was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes and is now a happy preschooler. What types of learning disabilities are most common in children diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at a young age? Is there any type of therapy that can be done to correct this condition? (29 Aug 2000)

20. My 11 year old daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at age eight. We consider her to be on tight control, but, even though her Hemoglobin A1c tests have always been between 6.0 and 6.8%, we recently found out that she has microalbumin in her urine. What does this mean and how will this affect her? (29 Aug 2000)

21. I started using Humalog a year ago with good results but find that if I take enough to cover a meal, I can't eat fast enough to avoid hypoglycemia. I've been taking a mix of Humalog and Regular and have had good results. Are there any problems with mixing Humalog with Regular either briefly in the syringe just before injection or for an extended period in a pre-drawn syringe? (28 Aug 2000)

22. My 12 year old son has had diabetes for two and one-half years. He started middle school.He constantly forgets homework, projects, seems upset by it but nothing we try changes it. I have found the schools to be unsympathetic. Isn't it true that the demands of school, his diabetes routine, and the side affects of high/low blood sugars can adversely affect school performance? (28 Aug 2000)

23. My mother, myself, and my two daughters have type 1 diabetes. We all use the same types of supplies for the sake of reordering ease. My mother's health insurance is significantly better than mine and utilizes a mail order prescription plan which sent her the wrong syringes. They tell us that they cannot exchange these supplies. I would like to know if there is any way I could exchange them. (28 Aug 2000)

24. My eight year old daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes a year ago. I am wondering if outside temperatures or various altitudes can cause high or low blood sugars. (28 Aug 2000)

25. Our family works and lives in China. Our child was recently diagnosed with diabetes. Which tests prove if his diabetes is type 1 or type 2? Can you also recommend suitable vitamins, minerals and supplements for a child with diabetes? (28 Aug 2000)

26. My 14 year old son has type 1 diabetes and mild to moderate mental retardation along with ADHD. His A1c levels are close to 9% and his blood sugars fluctuate over a broad range. Are his A1c levels acceptable given the circumstances? (28 Aug 2000)

27. My son tested high at a free screening; the doctor did fasting urine and blood draws that were normal, no findings of diabetes, etc. Again, this happened at another free screening. His sugar was 350 again, we made our trip back to the doctor. Again his fasting tests were fine. Four months later, he was hospitalized with diabetes. (27 Aug 2000)

28. I am in social work school and, given the impact diabetes has had in my life, I'd like to work with people who have diabetes. Can you give advice regarding career paths? (27 Aug 2000)

29. I have two sons who were both diagnosed with type 1 diabetes last summer. They were each provided with different models of meters with memory. What products are available to download multiple meters? (27 Aug 2000)

30. I'm a 16 year-old who has type 1 diabetes since I was nine. I used to have excellent control. Since I finished a six month trial of inhaled insulin, I have lost my control. I am worried about side effects. What should I do? (27 Aug 2000)

31. My 15 year old son was diagnosed about a year ago with type 1 diabetes. He has maintained his blood sugar level okay. They are sometimes higher that we'd like (200s mg/dl [11.1 mmol/L]) and his lowest has been 46 mg/dl [2.6 mmol/l]. I feel like I am sitting and waiting for a time bomb to go off, especially with a teenager. Is it inevitable that problems will happen? (27 Aug 2000)

32. My daughter was diagnosed with eype 1 diabetes about a month ago. Since then, I have been reading everything I can get my hands on."Diabetes Solution" by Dr. Richard Bernstein intrigues me. I would like your opinion on his theory. (27 Aug 2000)

33. My daughter is 18 months old. She had had several high blood sugars, but sometimes is in the normal range. She had an insulin test which was low. The doctors tell us time will tell whether or not she has diabetes. Is there any way of getting her diagnosed short of her getting very sick? (27 Aug 2000)

34. I have had type 1 diabetes for the last 6 years. I take three injections a day, pre-breakfast, pre-lunch and pre-dinner. My 3 am blood sugars drop down to 40 mg/dl [2.2 mmol/L] or so, and my pre-breakfast readings are 200-250 mg/dl [11.1-13.9 mmol/L]. Please guide. (27 Aug 2000)

35. My husband is having difficulty at work with discrimination because of his diabetes. (26 Aug 2000)

36. I am 18 years old and living with my fiance. I was diagnosed a year ago with diabetes and my doctor does not know what type I am. How do I cook meals that are both healthy for me and tasteful for my fiance? (26 Aug 2000)

37. My 12 year old daughter has had Type 1 diabetes or five and one half years. She has been in fair to good control (A1C's between 8-9%) most of this time. She had her first microalbumin test last week and it was 1100! This result was further confirmed by a 24 hour and a 12 hour collection. Can this kind of control cause this level of kidney this early in the disease process? (26 Aug 2000)

38. I am a 38 year old female, diagnosed about 2 years ago with type 1 diabetes. I am condidering a pump. However, I am concerned about using Humalog since I may be allergic to it. Can Regular be used with the pump? (26 Aug 2000)

39. What is the percentage of children newly diagnosed with diabetes are under the age of two? (26 Aug 2000)

40. Our nine year old son has had diabetes for two years. I know diabetes does not cause a learning disability, but thought I read somewhere that boys with diabetes tend to be slower in school, or words to this effect. Is this true? (26 Aug 2000)

41. My friend's daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes two months ago. She is unable to keep food down and has lost 10 to 15 pounds. She recently started to have seizures also. What can be causing her to have seizures and not keep food down? (26 Aug 2000)

42. I would like more information on the use of Neurontin for pain relief. (26 Aug 2000)

43. My 14 year old daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes two and a half years ago. She constantly has fatigue, stomach pain and high blood sugars.it seems no matter what she does she can't get her blood sugars to stay down for more than maybe one day at the most. Could the fatigue, stomach pain and high blood sugars be related so something other than her diabetes? (26 Aug 2000)

44. I have had diabetes for approximately 18 years now, and even though I realise it, I don't seem to be able to come to terms with it. Am I the only person who has diabetes and the worst mood swings in the world or are there others? (26 Aug 2000)

45. Do you know who will be marketing the Glucowatch and whether or not it is currently available? Is there any word from the larger HMO's and insurance companies on whether they are likely to cover the costs? (25 Aug 2000)

46. We have switched his glucose monitorfrom one that read whole blood to one that reads plasma. We have also noticed dramatic changes in the readings. Could this be the machine or because it's reading the plasma vs. whole blood? (25 Aug 2000)

47. My ten year old daughter was injecting herself with insulin for a month early last year and had numerous severe low sugars. She has been to counseling, but is really struggling with school, academically. Could she have done any damage to her learning ability? (25 Aug 2000)

48. My sister-in-law has diabetes. For the last two months, she has been complaining about her skin aching, hurting, really irritating, and sore. What's causing this? (25 Aug 2000)

49. My three year old was recently tested for diabetes. He has a six year old sister and has had diabetes for two and a half years. His symptoms were like hers, but his blood test showed a glucose reading of 94 mg/dl [5.4 mmol/L]. We also had insulin antibody tests done on: Pork, Beef, Human. Is he on the border with the numbers or is this just wait and see if he develops more symptoms? (25 Aug 2000)

50. I am 30 years old and 20 weeks gestation with my third pregnancy. With my last pregnancy, eight years ago, I was diagnosed with borderline gestational diabetes. My doctor did a two-hour meal after meal blood sugar an told me I have gestational diabetes. I am concerned that he did not find it necessary for me to do the glucose tolerance tests to determine the diagnosis. (25 Aug 2000)

51. My 15 year old daughter has had type 1 diabetes for a year. She is having a lot of problem adjusting to it. How long does it take for someone to finally accept that they have diabetes? Should I just totally back off and let her do whatever she want concerning her diabetes? (25 Aug 2000)

52. Can you refer me to any studies or reports of the effectiveness of massage for people with diabetes with regard to helping minimize circulation, nerve, depression problems and other matters? (25 Aug 2000)

53. My four year old is overweight, about 53-55 pounds. The doctor did a found his blood sugar to be 90mg/dl [5 mmol/L]. She called it a "borderline diabetes". What is "borderline" diabetes? Does his weight increase his risk for developing the disease? (25 Aug 2000)

54. My five and one-year old son has had type 1 since age two. I am told by his consultant that he cannot be producing any of his own insulin, and that also the long acting insulin in the Penmix cannot be affecting him longer than 12 hours. My experience says the opposite. (25 Aug 2000)

55. My 10 year old daughter has shown signs of having diabetes for about a year and a half. A home urine test was positive for glucose. If she indeed has diabetes, and I have waited this long, what has it done to her system by waiting? How can I reassure her that everything is okay and she is still the same loving, caring 10 year old she was before the test? (25 Aug 2000)

56. My mother has had diabetes mellitus for about eight months. She has had more than four hypos in a week and a half. Should I take her to the doctor? What's wrong with her? (25 Aug 2000)

57. I have had surgery on my right hand for problems related to Stiff Hand Syndrome, and I am going to be undergoing more surgery on both hands again. Do you have any information on Diabetic Stiff Hand Syndrome? (24 Aug 2000)

58. My 16 year old son has had diabetes since the age of five. He is in the 11th grade, and, during the last three years, he has smoked, drinks and all the bad things. Now, he is in trouble with the law. What do I do? (24 Aug 2000)

59. My son is 10 years old and was diagnosed with diabetes about a year ago. Recently, he went from 7.1% to 8.9% hemoglobin A1c.It seems like it doesn't matter how hard I try to manage his diabetes, his levels are never consistent. Does he need to be out of the honeymoon stage before we think about the pump? (24 Aug 2000)

60. I am the school nurse (newly hired) for a medium school system. I have a 14 year old boy with diabetes student who is fairly well controlled with insulin twice a day. He is (according to his physician) spilling ketones and this is making him lethargic and unable to do his school work. What would cause this and how can I help him? (24 Aug 2000)

61. I have a five year old son who has had type 1 diabetes for 3 years. We have had difficulty with potty-training. Is there any way this is related to his condition? (24 Aug 2000)

62. I am a 33 year old female, 35 weeks pregnant. I was recently diagnosed with gestational diabetes. Being overweight when not pregnant, I have been used to reading labels and watching "fat grams". Now having to watch carb grams, I see that a lot of low fat foods are higher in carbs than their full fat counterparts. It seems like I have to give up watching my cholesterol in order to control my blood sugar and ketones! (24 Aug 2000)

63. My son, age 33, was recently accused of drinking on the job because co-workers said they smelled alcohol on his breath. Although he drinks on occasion, he swears he has never had a drink on the job. I've suggested he request a diabetes test from his doctor. (24 Aug 2000)

64. Our nurse used the terms, "more insulin resistant, in the mornings, more insulin sensitive later etc." Can you explain these terms and why she would be so sensitive to sometimes even just a quarter unit of Regular? (24 Aug 2000)

65. I have heard that the blood sugar should be over 100 before driving. Is there a certain number that a blood sugar should be at before driving a car? (24 Aug 2000)

66. Our three year old grandson had a ketone smell on his breath, and when his blood sugar was tested by his grandfather, who has diabetes, it showed 16.3 mmol/L [293 mg/dl](4 to 8 mmol/L [72 to 144 mg/dl] normal). Five hours later at the hospital his blood sugar was 4 mmol/L (72 mg/dl). Does diabetes develop slowly in a child? Could his pancreas be working at times and then not? (24 Aug 2000)

67. Are there any statistics of insulin pump users who have either died or went into comas, etc? And if so, what were the causes? (24 Aug 2000)

68. My 11 year old stepson was recently diagnosed with type 1 diabetes and has has ADDHA. He suddenly has no impulse control and is having some type of episodes where he is not aware of his behavior. He is within his blood sugar ranges, but all those carbs turn to sugar and he has never been able to handle sugar. We need a specialist, someone who has knowledge of how these two conditions interact. (24 Aug 2000)

69. What is pancreatic extract? What are it's therapeutic uses? Is it commercially available? (24 Aug 2000)

70. I have a five year old daughter diagnosed with type 1 approximately three months ago. She seemed to adjust well at the time. Now, however, she is having a more difficult time. She has taken on a whole different personality. It breaks my heart to see her this way. Is this in some way the diabetes? (23 Aug 2000)

71. My 11 year old daughter has had type 1 diabetes for three years and is using an insulin pump. Her nurse suggested that we use a download program to monitor her blood sugar results. We tested Mellitus Manager which downloads information from her MiniMed pump and her brand of meter. We don't know anyone who has used this program on a regular basis and would like your input. (23 Aug 2000)

72. My five year son has been urinating very frequently for about a week and a half.. He sleeps all night, he doesn't have excessive thirst. I have been working with our small town hospital and I have been told to get him tested for diabetes. I don't believe he fits the requirements for a diabetes test. Am I wrong? (23 Aug 2000)

73. My son is 12 and was diagnosed eight years ago. His sugar numbers are usually very high. Our endocrinologist determined that it is stress related and we are now seeing a therapist. So far no help. Any suggestions? (23 Aug 2000)

74. Our eight year old grandson was just diagnosed with type 1. He does his own testing. Is there a wristwatch with a programmable timer with alarm that will remind him, at school, to do his fingerstick tests? (23 Aug 2000)

75. My daughter has been having complaints similar to low blood sugar. When I tested her with my meter she was 57 mg/dl (3.2 mmol/L) two hours after breakfast. She eats regular healthy meals but continues to be ravenously hungry. Is she at risk for diabetes? Do people without diabetes also have low blood sugar sometimes? (23 Aug 2000)

76. My son is four years old, and was diagnosed with diabetes at age two. An acquaintance stated that diabetes is more common in boys. Is this true? (23 Aug 2000)

77. What is the time frame for glucose to appear in the urine, after signs and symptoms of diabetes are apparent, and can a person have diabetes, but not yet spill glucose in their urine, but just have elevated blood sugars, as the only sign? (23 Aug 2000)

78. My three year old grandson has had type 1 diabetes since age one and one-half. He has chronic ear infections and nothing seems to work. Do you have any answers? (23 Aug 2000)

79. My friend's daughter is 14 years old and has had diabetes since age seven. For the past year, she has been in DKA and in the hospital almost every two weeks to monthly. Her insulin dose keeps going up. We are hoping that you could help us with some ideas. (23 Aug 2000)

80. I have had diabetes for seven years and I have a history of acute pancreatitis. For the last six months, I have to empty my bowels three or four times a day and I am losing weight because of this. I have done a stool test which shows presence of fats. Other tests are all normal.The medication I am taking isn't working. Please make some suggestions. (23 Aug 2000)

81. I was diagnosed type 1 three years ago and was put on insulin therapy, first using shots, now using an insulin pump. I recently changed doctors and my new endocrinologist ordered a c-peptide level test and it came back at 4.3, indicating that I am producing more than enough insulin. What are the ramifications of this discovery? (23 Aug 2000)

82. My daughter is in the seventh grade this year. She was diagnosed with type 1 at age six and has been on an insulin pump for almost 2 years. She is doing beautifully physically as well as mentally. Her teachers have all agreed that she needs to go on a "diet". I would like to present these teachers with the facts about the current thinking about diet and teenagers. (23 Aug 2000)

83. My 16 1/2 year old daughter has had diabetes for almost 14 years. She has always had pretty good control. About two years ago, she developed some Necrobiosis Lipoidica Diabeticorum (NLD). Now, she is spilling protein in her urine. Has any correlation been made to NLD and other diabetes complications? (22 Aug 2000)

84. My fifteen year old daughter, diagnosed with type 1 at age eleven, remains out of control. I have identified a place that specializes in children and adolescents with behavior problems associated with medical conditions. Have you heard of them? (22 Aug 2000)

85. My daughter has had type 1 diabetes for about six months. She is terribly afraid of going to sleep; she has a fear of dying in her sleep. Is this a normal thing that a child who has diabetes goes through? (22 Aug 2000)

86. I have had diabetes since age 10, but the doctors did not do anything about it. Now I'm 48. A doctor said I had protein in my kidney but not to worry. Is this bad? (22 Aug 2000)

87. I have had ketones in my urine, but, because there was no sugar, my doctor doesn't think that I have diabetes. I have no idea what to do. Can you help? (22 Aug 2000)

88. How low would he have to go to have a rebound? Is it better to rebound? Is there any more sensitivity to giving insulin after a rebound? If he hadn't rebounded, what would have been the likely scenario? (22 Aug 2000)

89. I have a three year old daughter. I began monitoring her morning sugars. She has had glucose levels at 54-60 mg/dl (3.0 -3.3 mmol/l). I also monitored her once an hour after having sweet tart sucker. Her level was a 258 mg/dl (14.3 mmol/l). Is this normal? Do you think anything else should be done? (22 Aug 2000)

90. Because of my family history, I elected to have a glucose tolerance test early in my pregnancy. Given the results, do I have gestational or pre-existing diabetes? (22 Aug 2000)

91. I had surgery three months ago. My incision has not completely healed and has been infected a few times.. I am aged 47, slightly overweight, five feet two inches tall and have high blood pressure. Diabetes runs in our family. A culture was done three weeks ago. Is this is a pre-diabetes test? (22 Aug 2000)

92. Are there new treatments and management for a 13 year old with type 2 diabetes? She is using insulin injected in her arms twice a day. She has developed side effects from injections and her mother is overly concerned about it. (22 Aug 2000)

93. I need to figure out how much Humalog lowers his blood sugar, and if there is a formula for determining the amount of Ultralente to give. Are there any sorts of formulas or ways of calculating these items? (22 Aug 2000)

94. I am the mother of a teenager with type 1 diabetes. How can I get her to see that I'm not the bad guy for making sure she isn't late taking her insulin? (21 Aug 2000)

95. Can you tell me whether it is safe for a person with diabetes to take [a brand of a prescription medication] to reduce cholesterol? (21 Aug 2000)

96. I am 24 years old. I was diagnosed 4 months ago with diabetes. I am currently trying to control my levels with Glucophage, Avandia, and Actos. I have had two miscarriages and one premature birth. Could these problems have been caused by undiagnosed diabetes? Do Glucophage, Avandia, and Actos increase fertility? (21 Aug 2000)

97. I recently saw a movie in which a woman was trying to lose weight by taking insulin injections. Can insulin actually cause you to gain or lose weight? Does it just depend upon the food you eat? (21 Aug 2000)

98. My son has had type 1 diabetes for three years. He has been on the insulin pump for a month. Periodically, around midnight, he has is high. Why isn't the high every night? (21 Aug 2000)

99. Last year I tested positive for Islet Cell Antibodies. I had the IVGTT and was told that it was fine. From time to time, I check my blood sugar with my daughter's meter. Lately, my readings have been in the 140 ml/dl [7.8 mmol/l] range about two hours after eating. Could this be the beginning of type 1 for me? (21 Aug 2000)

100. About six months ago, I was told that I have hypoglycemia. I know this is some form of diabetes, but that is all I know. Can you give me some more information about it? (21 Aug 2000)

101. Can the use of Humalog cause feelings of excessive heat and dehydration and bring on asthma attacks? (21 Aug 2000)

102. Is there a financial support program for parents who have a diabetic child (age seven)? If so where and how can I apply? (21 Aug 2000)

103. My two year old son was diagnosed at 15 months. We're more than likely putting him on the pump in the next month. Will that help us in the middle of the night? (21 Aug 2000)

104. I am 20 years old and ever since I was young, I have always loved candy and sugar. In the last few years, tt seems that if I don't eat food at specific times of the day, I feel really tired and faint to the point where I feel like I am going to pass out. I have also been urinating a lot lately and been really tired. Am I at risk for diabetes? (21 Aug 2000)

105. Does intravenous immunoglobulin work to prevent or slow the progression of type 1 diabetes? What studies have been done? (20 Aug 2000)

106. I recently cleaned out a cabinet and found unopened boxes of lancets and test strips for a brand of meter that we no longer use. Is there someplace that I can donate these to? (20 Aug 2000)

107. Our two year old child has recently been diagnosed. He is still breastfeeding, as well of course as eating normal meals. We are wondering how to judge the effect of this on his diet and insulin. (20 Aug 2000)

108. I am 44 with Type 1 diabetes, diagnosed 21 years ago (age 23). I had a situation called Poly-Rheumatic-Arthritis. Is this possibly a prediabetic onset condition? (20 Aug 2000)

109. My six year old son was diagnosed three years ago. I overheard an author of a diet book say that caffeine affects the blood sugar levels. Is this true? (20 Aug 2000)

110. I'm now about six weeks pregnant with my third child, and I have a history of gestational diabetes. None of my one-hour postprandial blood sugars are less than 120 mg/dl [6.7 mmol/L]. Should I be preparing myself mentally for insulin this time around? (20 Aug 2000)

111. I'm 16 years old, and have had diabetes for almost two years. I switched to Intensive management, and got my HbA1c in the 7's (7.0-7.4). With this better control, I have been going low very frequently (5-8 times a week), and have now been considering a pump. How long do you usually recommend your patients to try a treatment option before switching to a new one? (20 Aug 2000)

112. My six year old granddaughter has type 1, and her sister is eight months old. When should she be tested for diabetes? (20 Aug 2000)

113. Can you please explain my son's test results? (20 Aug 2000)

114. I'm 30 years old and in my 28th week of pregnancy. I had the glucose test this morning. I was asked to fast for 8-14 hours. I was then tested one hour after taking the medication. About 20 minutes after taking the medication, I became very sleepy and tired. Could this be a sign of what my test results may show? (20 Aug 2000)

115. I noticed in a recent poll about celiac disease, with 85% responding that they are unfamiliar with this disease or have never been tested. Since this disease can often be flagged with a simple blood test, shouldn't it be recommended for every person with diabetes? Shouldn't everyone be tested for this problem? (19 Aug 2000)

116. I had a yeast infection for a year before my diabetes doctor caught it and prescribed medications. My infection went away for a little while but came back. Do yeast infections cause high glucose, or does high glucose cause yeast infections? (19 Aug 2000)

117. If your blood sugar gets severely low, can you have a seizure? If my daughter has a seizure then isn't it from her diabetes? (19 Aug 2000)

118. My doctor has told me that I would be able to get a insulin pump if I really wanted one, but he told me that I would be one of the first children in the UK to get one. Has there been any major problems with children that have used it in other countries? (19 Aug 2000)

119. What link has been established between the Coxsackie B virus and the development of diabetes? (19 Aug 2000)

120. I am a 40 year old, mother of two, who has had type 1 diabetes for 19 years. My HbA1c levels are consistently below 6.5%, but the range of blood sugars is large. I would like to know what would be an acceptable standard deviation in my situation. (19 Aug 2000)

121. My friend, who is a girl 17 years old, is about to be a high school senior. We are all looking for colleges. She has Type 2 diabetes. Are there any scholarships for type 2? I know about type 1. (19 Aug 2000)

122. We have had a divorce, dad abandonment, a geographical move, and four shots per day. Is depression common in girls aged age 16 to 17 who have diabetes and all of the above problems? (19 Aug 2000)

123. I'm 21 years old and all of my life I've had extremely low blood sugar levels. Recently, I've noticed that I've been having extreme mood swings, and I burn through the food I eat a lot faster than normal. I've had to add another meal to my day in order to keep from passing out. Do you feel I should contact my doctor? (19 Aug 2000)

124. Yesterday, I went to the doctor and was told my blood sugar was a little high on my last blood test. My blood sugar level was 136 mg/dl (7.6 mmol/L). Is this too high? Should I insist on further tests since none were ordered or should I just let it ride till my next check up? (19 Aug 2000)

125. A TV broadcast mentioned a study that succeeded in stimulating insulin production in type 1 patients under age eight through the use of a high-fat diet. Are you familiar with any such report or study? (18 Aug 2000)

126. I am a 60 year old female who has been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes within the past week. I am obese, but I have lost 12 pounds in the past year. The only change that I can see is that I have been taking diuretics for the past year. Can there be a correlation between the diuretics and the diabetes? (18 Aug 2000)

127. We have twin boys who are 6 weeks of age.They sometimes sleep six to seven hours at night. We were advised to wake them at five hours until they are two months of age to prevent hypoglycemia. Should we follow this doctor's advice? (18 Aug 2000)

128. Is celiac disease associated with diabetes? (18 Aug 2000)

129. What advice would you give a 17 year old male who has had diabetes since the age of five? What about the effects of consuming alcohol and smoking or chewing? (18 Aug 2000)

130. I have diabetes and I am a vegetarian. My cholesterol is high. I need a vegetarian menu -- no meat, no fish, no fowl and low fat. (18 Aug 2000)

131. I am 19 years old and have had diabetes for about five or six years. What the best type of exercise is to keep my blood sugar in the normal range? (18 Aug 2000)

132. A 19 year old type 1 said she gets a funny taste in her mouth when she has a low. She asked her diabetes nurse and she more or less blew her off. Do you know of anyone complaining of a funny/odd taste in their mouth after a low? (18 Aug 2000)

133. Our 12 year old daughter has had type 1 diabetes for three years. She loves food. She is gaining about a pound per week. The doctor thinks maybe the pump would help, but I feel the pump is a reward. (18 Aug 2000)

134. I am a 40 year old police officer, recently diagnosed and likely soon to be unemployed due to my diabetes. I have been told that if I wasn't insulin dependent my employment would be no problem. What protection is there against discrimination in the work force for a person with type 1 diabetes? (18 Aug 2000)

135. My five year old son was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes two years ago. Recently, we have noticed that his blood sugar is rising during the night. What can be causing this? (18 Aug 2000)

136. I am very susceptible to hypoglycemic symptoms. Any glucose below 6 mmol/L will cause me to feel dizzy and irritable and sometimes values above 6 mmol/L [108 mg/dl] will also cause hypoglycemic symptoms. Could you explain why this is happening and is there anything I can do to prevent this? (18 Aug 2000)

137. My son was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes several months ago. He is taking six to seven shots a day, and he is still having trouble keeping his readings anywhere near normal. The doctors here are trying but aren't having much luck and we're thinking of finding a diabetes clinic. (17 Aug 2000)

138. My nine year old daughter has had diabetes type 1 since she was four years old. We are doing just fine and she is still on two shots a day of mixed insulin. If you have a small insulin production left even after four and one-half years with diabetes, could you prolong this production by being a little bit "aggressive" in your insulin treatment in order to let the functioning beta cells "rest" a little? (17 Aug 2000)

139. My aunt was diagnosed at the age of eight with type 1 diabetes. She is now in her thirties. She is blind from it and is on kidney dialysis. Recently, blood sugar levels have ranged from 100 to 1480 mg/dl (5.6 to 82.2 mmol/L). She lives in a nursing home. The doctor knows about it, but nothing ever gets done. Who else can we turn to for this matter? (17 Aug 2000)

140. I am 57 years old and have a strong family history of diabetes. Iad a fastiting blood done which was 130 mg/dl (7.2 mmol/L). After the five hour test my sugar level was 64 mg/dl (3.6 mmol/L). I was told everything was normal. I urinate a lot, am very thirsty and have blurred vision. There are times when I am very shaky and very lightheaded. The doctor refuses to do anything else. Should I consult with another doctor? (17 Aug 2000)

141. I was diagnosed about a month ago with type 2 diabetes, but found out that I was "anti-ica512 positive", GAD negative. I had been on a sulfonylurea diabetes pill, but stopped taking it because I read that sulfonylureas can be destructive to the pancreas in type 1 diabetes. I am very motivated and not afraid of insulin. What do you feel my treatment should consist of to best preserve my pancreas? Or, is that not possible? (17 Aug 2000)

142. Does anyone have experience with the "At Last" meter by Amira Medical being used for a child (age nine)? My concern is the child's ability to properly use the meter, correct motion "press and release" and the accuracy of the meter with children operating it. (17 Aug 2000)

143. Recently, a research team in the Netherlands published results of what they called a possible cure of diabetes. Are you familiar with these results? What is your opinion? (17 Aug 2000)

144. I'm a 19 year old female. and I think I may have diabetes. I've had these little dots with fluid in them. I do have the bit of blurry vision, and I do feel as if I've started urinating more than I used to. I lost some weight recently. Do you think I might have diabetes? (17 Aug 2000)

145. My nine year old daughter has type 1 diabetes. Neither we nor the hospital are able to get a regular blood sugar count and she always has ketones. So, the specialist at the hospital has involved social workers to find out if she is under a lot of stress at home to see if this is the cause. Is this possible? (17 Aug 2000)

146. I have a long family history of type 1 diabetes. I have had diabetes for 21 years and my daughter has had it since age four. How can I volunteer for the transplant trials and are children being considered? (15 Aug 2000)

147. I was speaking with someone tonight who had heard of an endocrinologist who has developed a "new" idea of a diet for people with diabetes. Could you give me any more information on this? (15 Aug 2000)

148. My 13 year old daughter is losing weight rapidly. I know she is anorexic. I don't want to send her to the hospital. Is there a place to send a person who has diabetes and an eating disorder? (15 Aug 2000)

149. My seven year old step-daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes about eight months ago. Her father has not been properly caring for her on his visitations. Is there any legal way I can make him get the proper training he needs? (15 Aug 2000)

150. Is there any information regarding the relevance between taking glucosamine and elevated blood sugar level? (15 Aug 2000)

151. Within the past two days I had readings of 45 mg/dl (2.5 mmol/L) and 50 mg/dl (2.8 mmol/L). Both times, I had no hypoglycemic symptoms. In the past, I have had symptoms(mostly trembling) that began whenever my sugars were around 60 mg/dl (3.3 mmol/L). What is happening? (15 Aug 2000)

152. What is the most well-known, best medical center in the USA for research and treatment of diabetes? (15 Aug 2000)

153. I am 38 years old. At the age of 30, I developed diabetes. My father and brother also have diabetes. I have three kids, all under age six. What type of precautions do I have to take for them? (15 Aug 2000)

154. I would like to know more about Primary Lactic Acidemia. (15 Aug 2000)

155. My daughter has had two very strange and scary incidents of hypoglycemia. She proceeded to have a seizure and lost consciousness. I am trying to figure out why these seizures happened. (15 Aug 2000)

156. My daughter is 12 years old and has type 1 diabetes. Last month, she had a seizure due to low blood sugar. In the past two weeks, she has had recurrent headaches and has become very tired. Could this be related to the seizure and how do I go about treating this? (15 Aug 2000)

157. I'm 12 and got diabetes when I was five. I have red spots on my legs. They are very sensitive and are really ugly. Are they related to my diabetes? (15 Aug 2000)

158. Our 18 month old child is a lacto-ovo-vegetarian, and likes avocados. How much carb and protein do they contain? (15 Aug 2000)

159. I am a Certified Nurse Case Manager working in pediatric endocrinology and have about 150 little ones with diabetes. One of our little ones, diagnosed about a year ago, has now developed celiac disease. Is this secondary to his type 1 diabetes? (15 Aug 2000)

160. I have a six year old daughter with type 1 diabetes. I just bought a sunscreen product for my children. I notice that the third inactive ingredient listed is sorbitol. Should my daughter's absorbing this through her skin be of concern? (15 Aug 2000)

161. I would like to know how many deaths have been attributed to ketoacidosis. My daughter passed away almost two years ago because of it. I would like to find out more about it and talk to others who have been in the same situation. (15 Aug 2000)

162. What is an appropriate treatment plan for an eight year old with type 1 diabetes diagnosed about eight months ago? Is there educational material in Spanish to be shared by family and staff? (15 Aug 2000)

163. My girlfriend uses an insulin pump and has developed an area of lipohypertrophy. Will it go away at all? How serious is this? (15 Aug 2000)

164. What affect will the mineral chromium have on insulin and glucose in a person with diabetes? (15 Aug 2000)

165. My family is relocating. We have a four year old who just began on the pump. Do you have the names of any doctors with children on the pump? (15 Aug 2000)

166. My daughter was recently diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. Her doctor has suggested testing for lupus and ITP. He also indicated that her diabetes came from my mother who is hyperthyroid and not my father (family history of type 2). How is this possible? Should these tests be done? (15 Aug 2000)

167. My 23 month old son has had a few episodes of high blood sugar. What is the highest that your sugar can go after eating and still be considered normal? Can being sick with a virus affect your sugar readings? (15 Aug 2000)

168. My nine year old daughter is in the 50th percentile for height and 75th for weight. The problem is, she thinks she's fat. She forbids me to talk to her doctor about it. I've read about diabetic teens developing eating disorders. I'd like any recommendations you have. (15 Aug 2000)

169. My five year old daughter was recently diagnosed and we want to get her a medical ID bracelet. What do recommend? (15 Aug 2000)

170. My daughter is newly diagnosed. She is consistently low between 11 am and 1 pm. What can I provide her at breakfast that would have longer "lasting" power? (15 Aug 2000)

171. My 17 year old friend has type 1 diabetes. He smokes marijuana. I hear from several friends that it can lead to blindness. Is this true? (15 Aug 2000)

172. Can you direct me to literature which would address the benefits of playing on a softball team for my nine year old granddaughter who has diabetes? She was allowed on the team officially this summer but was sidelined by her coach nearly the whole time. We feel it is unreasonable to treat her so differently. (14 Aug 2000)

173. My daughter had a problem when she was 14 months old with low blood sugar. She has had some ongoing problems. We were sent to an endocrinologist, but he didn't find anything except low blood sugar levels. Could this all be related to diabetes? (14 Aug 2000)

174. Are Continuous Glucose Monitoring Systems available in Australia? How much do they cost and what computer requirements are needed to download the readings? (14 Aug 2000)

175. I am a 34 year old and have type 1 diabetes and proliferative retinopathy. I am interested in becoming pregnant. Does pregnancy itself worsen retinopathy or is the worsening of retinopathy directly related to how rapidly normal glycemia is established? (14 Aug 2000)

176. I am a 13 year old who was diagnosed at age six. I used to take good care of myself but now that I'm a teenager I don't. I'm involved in sports and a lot of after and before school activities. My blood sugars are never good and even sometimes I'll forget shots. (14 Aug 2000)

177. My 15 month old granddaughter has just been diagnosed with diabetes. I have never heard of a child this young having diabetes. Is this very unusual? Is it a reason to worry that it came on at such an early age? (14 Aug 2000)

178. My 13 year old daughter with cerebral palsy is scheduled for a two-hour orthopedic surgery in another state in several months. She was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the age of nine. She has been on an insulin pump for one year. I have several questions. (14 Aug 2000)

179. I am a white male 50 years old with a heart condition and no family history of any type of diabetes. Can taking a beta blocker cause type 2 diabetes? (14 Aug 2000)

180. I am 25 years old and I met a girl who has type 1 diabetes. Now I wish to marry her. My parents don't want me to. Is there any problem in marrying her? What about the future life? (14 Aug 2000)

181. My 14 week-old son recently had some blood work done and he has elevated liver enzymes. The doctor is unsure of the cause. I read that diabetes can be a possibility. I'm worried about this because, even though I don't have diabetes, it runs in my family. (14 Aug 2000)

182. My seven year old son is always complaining of constant thirst and hunger and urinates frequently. My cousin died at age 17 from kidney failure due to undiagnosed type 1 diabetes and my mother was recently diagnosed with type 2. Would it be a good idea to have him tested for diabetes? (14 Aug 2000)

183. I am a 27 year old male who has had diabetes for three and a half years. Recently, I did my yearly 24 hour protein test and it came back high. Why do I have kidney disease from diabetes at three and half years? Will these early problems lead to end stage renal disease much sooner than normal? (14 Aug 2000)

184. My boyfriend is 28 years old. He gets tired real fast. He is always thirsty and urinates frequently. His wounds sometimes heal slowly and he has very dry skin. Do you think he should be tested for diabetes and hyperglycemia? (14 Aug 2000)

185. Can a person with type 1 diabetes give blood? How does donating blood affect the blood sugar? (14 Aug 2000)

186. I have a 12 year old son who has had diabetes for four years. For about the past month, he has been getting an upset stomach after dinner. It causes him to vomit about twice a week. Do you know what might cause this? (14 Aug 2000)

187. Someone I know, who has type 1 diabetes, had a hypoglycemic episode while driving, causing a motor vehicle accident. I am seeking information about precautions that must taken prior to driving to avoid such a tragedy. (9 Aug 2000)

188. I am a home based daycare caretaker. I just started today with a six year old girl with type 1 diabetes. Is there a place I can surf to or have them send me some info on meals and snacks? (9 Aug 2000)

189. I have a five year old cousin who has type 1 diabetes. Since she has been diagnosed with diabetes, the father and grandmother have not been able to stabilize it. Her sugar is either too high or too low. When should I call medical attention? (9 Aug 2000)

190. I am curious if you have run across any cures for type 1 diabetes. Has anyone who has type 1 diabetes actually gotten off of Insulin? (9 Aug 2000)

191. She drinks a large amount of Sprite. We tried to stop her drinking it at night. The next morning I found her very sweaty, trembling, her heart was pounding and the rate was very quick, she was breathing fast, and when I got her to wake up, she was very hungry and stumbling around. She was better after feeding. We tried again and the same thing happened. Could this be episodes of hypoglycemia, and if it is, should I just keep giving her the Sprite? (9 Aug 2000)

192. My five year old daughter is always very tired in the mornings even after 10-11 hours sleep. She can get going if she has something sweet or a carbonated drink. Does this sound like a blood sugar related problem? (8 Aug 2000)

193. My three year old son was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes several months ago. As his honeymoon phases has diminished, insulin just seems to run right through him. Could part of my problem be from using two different brands of insulin? I am very interested in trying pump therapy as soon as possible. How can I find another diabetes team that would support me on this? (8 Aug 2000)

194. My four year old son was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes when he was 18 months old. He has been having problems with overnight blood sugars. Our diabetes team can't seem to find a solution to these problems. Our diabetes team can't seem to find a solution to these problems. What are your suggestions? (8 Aug 2000)

195. He saw a local doctor who put him on metformin blood pressure tablets, cholesterol tablets, and, he is taking a tablet for sinus. His general health is now terrible, constantly ill. I believe with diet and exercise, it is not necessary for him to have medication at this stage, so long as the sugar level is kept under control. I have asked him to go and talk to the Diabetes Centre so that he may be reassured of his state of health. What do you think? (8 Aug 2000)

196. I have a 22 month old boy who is having drastic highs and lows between breakfast and lunch. it seems like No matter how much I raise the Humalog to combat high numbers after breakfast, it never helps. I don't want to keep raising the Humalog if it is not working. Any ideas? (8 Aug 2000)

197. I took my 14 year old son, who has diabetes, to his enodcrinologist because of an eight pound weight loss. He noticed that my son had sweaty hands, rapid heart beat and another weight loss and told me that my son may have an overactive thyroid. What do we expect if he does have overactive thyroid? Will this affect his blood sugar control? Will my endocrinologist also test for Addison's Disease, and celiac disease? (8 Aug 2000)

198. Recently, he experienced nausea, along with calf cramps and a sore neck. He also said he did not feel low. It did go away after some time and did not return. I am worried about blocked arteries. Should we worry about the leg and neck ache? (7 Aug 2000)

199. I am a 28 years old and have had type 1 diabetes since the age of nine. I take 3 shots of insulin per day. I am very healthy and watch what I eat, but, I also admittedly "cheat" once in awhile. How much sugar qualifies for a unit of insulin? (7 Aug 2000)

200. I am 15 years old and have had type 1 diabetes since I was five years old. Sometimes my blood sugar jumps up to around 300-400 mg/dl (16.6-22.2 mmol/dl). I am not eating anything that would raise my blood sugar, I am exercising, and I am not under any stress. Do you know why this is happening? (7 Aug 2000)

201. I am 37 weeks pregnant and have gestational diabetes. There are some mornings when I have ketones in my urine. This doesn't seem to concern my doctor very much, but concerns my dietitian. What will a small amount of ketones four times a week do to the baby? (7 Aug 2000)

202. I am a 16 year old with a tough problem. What are good bedtime snacks for a growing kid like me? I always end up with Graham crackers and a glass of milk. (6 Aug 2000)

203. My 18 year old son will be entering college next autumn. Is he eligible for any financial aid from Vocational Training or the American Disabilities Act? (6 Aug 2000)

204. My son was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes a few months after being hospitalized with "pneumonia". Upon review, we learned that it was not pneumonia, but severe asthma. Is it possible that this was the result of too much prednisone or prolonged use while in the hospital for undiagnosed asthma? (6 Aug 2000)

205. My seventeen month old son was diagnosed six weeks ago. The dosages have been changed by his endocrinologist almost on a daily basis. We still have not been able to maintain him at his target numbers of 100-220 for more than two consecutive days. Do you have any suggestions? (6 Aug 2000)

206. We have a seventeen year old who is a brittle diabetic and is continually on the run. The problem are his behaviors his is oppositional defiant. We are out of ideas. What about the pump? Do you have ideas about a support group for this type of child? (6 Aug 2000)

207. I am the mother of a an 8 year old boy who was diagnosed about 10 months ago. Does he have the legal right to test in a cafeteria at camp? Can he be denied the right to test anywhere? (6 Aug 2000)

208. My 11 year old niece was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. I thought children only got type 1. I was told that children cannot be on pills, only insulin. What risks are we taking by giving her Glucophage? (6 Aug 2000)

209. Can hyperglycemia occur in people who have not been diagnosed with diabetes? (6 Aug 2000)

210. Is NovoRapid approved for use by children? (6 Aug 2000)

211. We are looking for age-appropriate eating patterns documentation. Do you have a document or know of a resource to obtain this information? (4 Aug 2000)

212. I am a 16 year old female and I have been living with diabetes for eight years. When I turned 12, my blood sugars would stay up no matter what I did. I am doing the best that I can for a 16 year old. When I am under stress, my blood sugar goes up and my doctors yell at me. What can I do to be in more control of my diabetes? (4 Aug 2000)

213. Last year, our daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes around the time of her fifth birthday. My wife, who was unable to breast feed her when she a baby, blames herself for our daughter's diabetes. Can baby formula trigger diabetes several years later? (4 Aug 2000)

214. My recently diagnosed son is totally disregarding his meal plan and throwing his sugars out of whack. I have explained to him what the repercussions of this could be but he doesn't seem to care. What should I do? (4 Aug 2000)

215. Do you think my child's diabetes will ever be cured? What meter do you recommend for him? (4 Aug 2000)

216. My 14 year old daughter had pancreatitis about two years ago. Now they say her insulin is high but her sugar level is good. They talked about type 2 diabetes and put her on a carbohydrate diet. I have never heard of this. What should I be aware of? (4 Aug 2000)

217. My son was diagnosed with ketotic hypoglycemia a few months ago. He has been wetting and drinking a lot the past few days. He has shown high sugar levels in the past when ill. His endocrinologist said not to worry, it isn't diabetes. His antibody test was negative. Is there a chance it could be diabetes, or is there some other metabolic disorder it might be? (4 Aug 2000)

218. Since switching insulin programs, I have gained a lot of weight despite a controlled meal plan. Do you know why I gained weight? How can I lose it safely and effectively? (4 Aug 2000)

219. Our daughter is nine years old and has had diabetes for five years. What are the concerns and precautions with diabetes and puberty? (4 Aug 2000)

220. My five-and-one half year old is complaining of "pins and needles" in his feet and hands. Should I be concerned? Is it related to his diabetes? (4 Aug 2000)

221. What is the importance of putting air into a vial of insulin before drawing out the insulin? (4 Aug 2000)

222. My daughter has a diagnosis of hypoglycemia. I am confused by the prescribed meal plan. What are her options to eat? When does she need sugar? (4 Aug 2000)

223. My son is suspected of having type one diabetes. He is multi-handicapped with multi-system involvement. Three weeks ago, he began exhibiting signs of sudden onset diabetes. Should we request a consult with a pediatric endocrinologist? (4 Aug 2000)

224. My son is 18 years old and was diagnosed with diabetes about 5 months ago. Doctors are still not sure if it is type 1 or MODY. How do we find out if it is MODY? (2 Aug 2000)

225. My son was diagnosed with ketotic hypoglycemia three months ago. Now, when he's sick, his level goes to 277 mg/dl after two-and-one-half hours without eating. Our pediatrician said that he looks like he could be in a prediabetic state right now. (2 Aug 2000)

226. Yesterday, my one-hour non-fasting glucose test came back 312 mg/dl (17.3 mmol/L). I am scheduled for a three-hour glucose test tomorrow. How likely is it that this is strictly gestational diabetes? Would diet be a consideration for me? (2 Aug 2000)

The Diabetes Team

Physicians
Bill Jones, MD (Specialist in the management of diabetes during pregnancy, member since April 1997)
Marco Songini, MD (Italy) (Pediatric, adolescent, and adult endocrinologist and diabetologist, member since April 1997)
Larry Deeb, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since July 1998)
John Schulga, MBChB MRCGP MRCP FRCPCH (UK) (Consultant Paediatrician in childhood and adolescent diabetes and endocrinology, member since July 1999)
Stuart Brink, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since October 1999)
Matthew Brown, MD (Pediatrician and a Pediatric Diabetologist, member since January 2000)
Jim Lane, MD (Adult Endocrinologist, member since November 2000)
David Schwartz, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since May 2001)
Andrea Scaramuzza, MD (Italy) (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since October 2003)
Fran Kaufman, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since August 2006)
Linda DiMeglio, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist)

Nurses
Barb Schreiner, RN, MPH, CDE (Diabetes Nurse Specialist, member since July 2002)
Jane Seley, RN, GNP, MPH, MSN, CDE, CHES (Diabetes Nurse Practitioner, member since August 2002)
Joe Solowiejczyk, RN, MSW (Family Therapist, member since April 2010)
Linda Mackowiak, RN, MS, FNP, CDE (Diabetes Nurse Specialist)

Psychologists
Jill Weissberg-Benchell, PhD (Medical Psychology and Psychiatry, member since January 2000)

Dietitians
James Michael Schurig, MS, RD, LD, CDE (Dietitian, member since December 2000)

Exercise Physiologists
Rick Philbin, M.Ed., A.T.C., C.S.C.S (Sports Medicine, member since July 2004)

Researchers
Lois Schmidt Finney, RD, MPH, CDE (DPT-1 Research Coordinator, member since July 1998)
Heather Speer, MPH, CCRC, CDE (Clinical Diabetes Research and Education Coordinator, member since July 1998)

Social Workers
Debbie Butler, CDE, MSW, LICSW (Licensed Clinical Social Worker, member since October 2004)

And Our Occasional Experts