From New Castle, Pennsylvania, USA:

I am a sixteen-year-old female who has had type 1 diabetes for two years. I was started on NPH and R, eating 19 carbs daily and exercising regularly, and have maintained a weight of 130-135 pounds (I am 5 feet 7 inches tall). For seven months now, I have been on Ultralente and H, and since have gained thirty pounds. I am exercising as much as I was previous to my switch in insulins, and I am eating 14 carbs a day. For the two years I have had diabetes, I have eaten low fat as well. Do you know why I gained weight? How can I lose it safely and effectively?

It is difficult to know specifically why you have gained weight. However, you seem to be eating quite a low carb diet for your age, if you are only taking 19 exchanges. It may be that your body needs more energy than this, and instead of taking carbs, you may be taking more in the way of fatty foods. It is worth spending some time with a dietitian to see if they could have a look at your diet and see if there can be any suitable changes made.

Posted to Weight and Weight Loss