Question:

From Ohio, USA:

My 14 year old daughter had pancreatitis about two years ago. Now they say her insulin is high but her sugar level is good. They talked about type 2 diabetes and put her on a carbohydrate diet. Is this listed under type 2? I have never heard of this. What should I be aware of?

Answer:

I'm afraid I don't fully understand this either, as I would expect her insulin levels to be low rather than high. It would be worth going over things with your doctor again. If your child does have type 2 and is being controlled on diet alone, then it is at present 'mild' but still needs to be monitored.

JS

[Editor's comment: Diabetes that occurs after another medical condition damages the pancreas (such as pancreatic inflammation, or pancreatitis) is frequently called secondary diabetes; this is entirely different than Type 2 diabetes. See the Classification and Diagnosis of Diabetes Guidelines for more information; secondary diabetes is discussed in the section entitled "Diabetes caused by other identifiable etiologies". WWQ]

Posted to Diagnosis and Symptoms and Type 2