Question:

From Livermore, California, USA:

I am a 28 years old and have had type 1 diabetes since the age of nine. I take 3 shots of insulin per day. I am very healthy and watch what I eat, but, I also admittedly "cheat" once in awhile (who doesn't?). Nobody seems to know a direct answer to my question. I have researched for quite a while. How much sugar qualifies for a unit of insulin? For example, when I over exercise, even a little, and begin to feel low, I will drink some juice or something, but then be high later on. Or, when I cheat at a wedding or something and take a little extra Regular, I am not sure how much or how little to take. I don't want to take to much or too little whether I am low or going to "cheat" once in awhile.

Answer:

There is no exact formula to figure out how much extra insulin to take when you eat than usual. It is usually trial and error. I would suggest discussing this with your own physician. If you can figure out how much insulin to take to match your food, the only downside is that if you do this frequently, you may gain weight. Sometimes extra Humalog alone works well, sometimes a combination of extra Humalog and Regular works better. If you eat very much extra at one sitting, you may find it hard to match it with insulin as when you give large doses of insulin, you don't always get a larger effect. Instead it may just last longer.