Question:

From Portsmouth, Virginia, USA:

I have a five year old cousin who has type 1 diabetes. Since she has been diagnosed with diabetes, the father and grandmother have not been able to stabilize it. Today, her blood sugar reached 536 mg/dl (29.7 mmol/L). When should I call medical attention? The child has been diagnosed with type 1 for 8 months. Her sugar is either too high or too low.

Answer:

It's a matter of global approach towards diabetes care and management. In a case of a 5 years old child with type 1 diabetes, that implies that her father and grandmother have good knowledge and expertise. Is a pediatric diabetes team looking after this family? If not, as it could be suspected from your letter, you should suggest that this child's parents see a diabetes team as soon as possible.