Question:

From the state of Washington, USA:

My nine year old daughter has had type 1 for two years and has been pumping for one year. Her Hba1c is 7.2%. She is in the 50th percentile for height and 75th for weight. This has been consistent throughout her life except a slow-down right at diagnosis. The problem is, she thinks she's fat. I've read about diabetic teens developing eating disorders. I'd like any recommendations you have as far as books she might read, etc. that might help her self-image and head off future problems. She forbids me to talk to her doctor about it.

Answer:

Your child cannot forbid you to take an active role in her healthcare. I would advise you to speak with her physician and /or a therapist to intervene in this matter.

A book to read will not do the trick.

CMB

[Editor's comment: I agree with Craig. However, I would try to avoid alienating your daughter completely by trying to explore her thinking. Perhaps there are other issues and she is is just focusing on her perceived weight problem. The prepubertal years are difficult. As a child's body changes, she may have difficulty understanding the changes. If your diabetes team has a counselor or social worker, I would strongly recommend, as did Craig, that you consult with that person. Another trick might be to have your physician and/or nurse show your duaghter her growth pattern on a growth chart and discuss it. She might then be able to see that she is quite appropriate for her age. SS]

Posted to Other Social Issues