From Leeds, Alabama, USA:

I would like to know how many deaths have been attributed to ketoacidosis. My daughter passed away almost two years ago because of it. I would like to find out more about it. and talk to others who have been in the same situation.

This is a difficult question since there are no statistics kept in any systematic fashion on diabetic ketoacidosis. Most of the time this occurs when there is severe insulin deficiency and the diagnosis of diabetes has not been established -- or when insulin is omitted for long periods of time in those who already have diabetes. Usually there is another associated cause for DKA such as an infection, surgery or some medication that blocks how insulin is working (e.g., prednisone).

Posted to Hyperglycemia and DKA