Question:

From Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh, India:

I am 38 years old. At the age of 30, I developed diabetes. My father and brother also have diabetes. I have three kids, all under age six. What type of precautions do I have to take for them? I am getting severe backache, and wonder whether this is because of diabetes? How can I get relief? Sometimes my sugar level will be under control and sometimes it is not.

Answer:

I do think the only precaution you have to take for your children is to try to educate them to eat correctly and to properly exercise with the ultimate aim to stick to ideal body weight as the most important goal towards the primary prevention of diabetes.

Back pain is not related to diabetes. Ask your doctor for more help.

Additional comments from Lois Schmidt Finney, diabetes dietitian:

I am not sure if we are referring to Type 1 diabetes or Type 2. I think that Dr. Songini's answer is referring to prevention of type 2 diabetes. As far as type 1 diabetes prevention, we do not have any way to really prevent it, but testing for certain antibodies (GAD, glutamic acid decarboxylase, or ICA, islet cell antibodies) may be done to see if the likelihood for developing type 1 is increased.

LSF

Additional comment added 24 Aug 2000
Posted to Genetics and Heredity