From Fresno, California, USA:

My 13 year old daughter (diagnosed at age five) is losing weight rapidly. I know she is anorexic. I don't want to send her to the hospital. Is there a place to send a person who has diabetes and an eating disorder?

Your daughter needs help before her eating disorder endangers her life. The combination of an eating disorder and diabetes can be deadly. The most effective treatment for anorexia is a psychiatric hospitalization at a facility that specializes in teens with eating disorders. Often times, teens are then transitioned to a day-treatment program, and then to outpatient therapy. Successful treatment also always involves active family participation in therapy. Ask your diabetes team about the facilities in your community that specialize in eating disorders, and get your daughter the help she needs as soon as possible.

Additional comments from Dr. Stuart Brink:

Talk to your diabetes team -- they can help -- don't ignore the problem until it becomes an emergency situation.

Posted to Other Illnesses and Social Issues: Community Resources