Question:

I am 57 years old and somewhat overweight (I have put on 40 pounds just this past year). I do have other medical problems: hypertension, stable angina, I do suffer with constant backaches which has been diagnosed as ruptured disks in the lower back, and I also have a problem with GERD. I work full time. Mother's side of family: all brothers and sister type 2, my mother and her brother type 2. My brother type 2, going back in the generations some of the children 8 months and up type 1. My younger brother has type 2 since his 40th birthday; he is now 46 years old and on oral medication, and is well under control.

So now the question: I went for my yearly exam. The doctor called and said I needed to come in. He then set up an appointment at the lab for a fasting blood sugar test. My level the first time was 130 mg/dl (7.2 mmol/L). After the five hour test my sugar level was 64 mg/dl (3.6 mmol/L). I was told everything was normal. So now I ask -- how can this be? I am always drinking and I cannot go for more than maybe an hour without my mouth becoming so dry that I cannot speak. I must have a glass of water, I use the bathroom approximately 12-14 times in a 24 hour period of time. I get up about three times a night. There are times when I am very shaky and must sit down there are also times that I feel so very lightheaded that I just know one of these times I will fall or faint. Also there are times when my eyes feel very blurred. The doctor refuses to do anything else. He has suggested that maybe it is emotional.

At this point, do you think that I should consult with another doctor? Do you think that maybe the medications that I am on are doing this?

Answer:

I agree that you should have this looked into further. A fasting blood glucose of 130 is not normal -- the American Diabetes Association guidelines for the diagnosis of diabetes say that anything over 126 fasting (on more than one occasion) is diabetes. Your symptoms of excessive thirst and frequent urination could be due to diabetes. And being overweight puts you at greater risk of developing diabetes (type 2).

So I think you should continue to investigate.

ML

DTQ-ONCRM20000319