From Morrinsville, New Zealand:

I am a 40 year old police officer, recently diagnosed and likely soon to be unemployed due to my diabetes. I have been told that if I wasn't insulin dependent my employment would be no problem, is there a big difference between the two type 1 and type 2 for potential to go low? What protection is there against discrimination in the work force for a person with type 1 diabetes?

Here in the US, there are state laws and regulations (which vary from state to state) prohibiting adults with diabetes from certain professions. I would encourage you to discuss this with an attorney that is familiar with the laws in your area that deal the diabetes and restrictions in professions. You could also contact your local Diabetes Organizations for their assistance.

Hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) can be a significant problem for both Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes.

Posted to Other Social Issues