Question:

From Farmingdale, Maine, USA:

If your blood sugar gets severely low, can you have a seizure? I was told by a paramedic that you would not have a seizure, but in the book that I had to read and was tested on before my daughter left the hospital, and from what her endocrinologist has told me, you can have a seizure. If my daughter has a seizure then isn't it from her diabetes?

Answer:

A seizure can occasionally occur as a result of a low blood sugar. It is important to do your best to avoid such low blood sugars and to treat them appropriately when they occur. Families of people with Type 1 diabetes should always have access to a Glucagon Emergency Kit to use in cases of severe low blood sugars that cause a seizure or unconsciousness.