Question:

From Inverness, Florida, USA:

My six year old granddaughter has type 1, and her sister is eight months old. When should she be tested for diabetes? She has no symptoms as far as we can tell, but she is always getting sick or having some kind of an infection.

Answer:

I can certainly understand your concern, but rather than worry more than necessary, plan on having your younger granddaughter tested for risk of type 1 diabetes when she is 3 years old. (The DPT program will begin testing first degree relatives of people with type 1 diabetes when they are 3 years of age or older.)

KS

[Editor's comment: Of course, if your younger granddaughter were to develop some of the symptoms of diabetes, she should be tested as soon as possible after the symptoms develop. WWQ]