Question:

From Lake City, Florida, USA:

About six months ago, I was told that I have hypoglycemia. I know this is some form of diabetes, but that is all I know. Can you give me some more information about it?

Answer:

Hypoglycemia is not diabetes. When you have diabetes the blood sugar is too high. Hypoglycemia is a blood sugar that is too low. People who have diabetes and take some pills and/or insulin can have the blood sugar go too low, and develop hypoglycemia. Some believe that people can be hypoglycemic before they develop diabetes. I think that is very rare.

If you think you have diabetes, see your doctor. If you really are having hypoglycemic episodes, they need to be evaluated. There are a number of medical conditions that can cause hypoglycemia.