From Dayton, Ohio, USA:

I had surgery on my foot for a heel spur three months ago. My incision has not completely healed and has been infected a few times. I am somewhat depressed because the foot is not healing. I am aged 47, slightly overweight, five feet two inches tall and have high blood pressure. Diabetes runs in our family. A culture was done three weeks ago. I am still waiting for the results. Is this is a pre-diabetes test?

I think that your surgeons have already performed a fasting blood sugar as well as urinalysis as routine tests before surgery. These tests should have excluded then overt diabetes if doctors told you nothing. Have you checked them again recently?

Consult your doctor about your concerns.

Additional comments from Betty Brackenridge, diabetes dietitian:

Since it is unlikely that your surgical team would have missed a diagnosis of diabetes when doing normal pre-surgery lab tests, it might be helpful to consider other possible causes for your slow healing. Some of these are fairly easy things that would be in your control. Building new tissue to heal a wound requires adequate energy intake (eating enough), availability of certain nutrients (enough protein, vitamins and minerals in the foods you eat), adequate circulation to the site of the wound (to get oxygen and nutrients in place where they can work), and lack of continuing trauma to the wound (perhaps staying off your feet as much as possible until healing is complete). An open wound, especially an infected one, increases your nutritional needs. You might want to consider being particularly careful about your food choices and adding a complete vitamin and mineral supplement to your daily routine until this problem is resolved.

Additional comment added 24 Aug 2000