Question:

From Fitchburg, Massachusetts, USA:

I have had ketones in my urine, but, because there was no sugar, my doctor doesn't think that I have diabetes. I was hypoglycemic when I was pregnant two years ago. I've been getting sick (viral infections, stomach problems, eye problems, lower back cramps, cramps in calves, etc.) a lot. I never used to before. Last night, I went to the emergency room because I got very faint and dizzy. I kept getting hungry, so I ate an oat and honey bar. About an hour later, I was seen and the symptoms started to go away. They tested my blood sugar and it was fine. I felt like a retard. My fiancee thinks I over-reacted. Earlier that day I saw my doctor and I had a moderate amount of ketones. I have no idea what to do. Can you help?

Answer:

Ketones may appear in the urine when we are facing stress (such as infections and aches). I think that you need a consultation with an endocrinologist who can help you in assessing whether you are suffering from any kind of hypoglycaemia and how your symptoms might be evaluated.